Google and Nest Unite at CEDIA 2017
Google and Nest unite for the first time at CEDIA 2017, and we have two IoT innovators taking questions from home-technology integrators. What do you want to know?
Today at 11:30 a.m., Google + Nest Booth #5349
So, whaddya wanna know? (Post your questions below.)
CE Pro is hosting a fireside chat during the show, with product managers and and IoT experts from each company taking questions from yours truly and the rest of the home-technology community.
Google + Nest Fireside Chat
Friday, Sept. 8
11:30 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.
With Mike Soucie from Nest, Mark Spates from Google, and Julie Jacobson from CE Pro
QUESTIONS FOR PANELISTS? Leave them in the comments section below or email Julie Jacobson.
Representing Nest, Mike Soucie has a deep home-automation background and currently spearheads the "Works with Nest" developer program. From Google, Mark Spates was head of Logitech's Connected Home Platform before before working on Google's smart-home strategy.
In a pre-chat interview recently, I spoke with the duo, a little concerned that this chat might become an exchange of company-approved talking points. But Spates and Soucie are clearly there to share, and their insights will help home-tech pros understand not just what their companies are up to ... but where IoT is going in general.
Choice nuggets from our visit:
- "We have to change the paradigm of user interaction. You can’t replace a light switch by having a user pull out a phone."
- The pro channel has served the luxury market well ... "Is there a lost opportunity more downstream? What does the channel need?"
- "How do we better anticipate users' needs?" Strong collaboration between Google and Nest puts the companies in a "better position to achieve that."
- With a move towards learning, predictive analytics and AI, a growing number of connected products "contributes to the greater good of the ecosystem."
- Ironically, the more connected devices in the home, the better the analytics, so potentially the more data to monitor for security breaches.
By the way, did you know Google products and services are now part of the Nest Pro program? Dealers are eligible for pro pricing on products like Google Home and Google Wifi.
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Email Julie at [email protected]
Control & AutomationCore Brands Rallies Around Elan at CEDIA
Lighting design and how it affects our lives – Privately as well as professionally
Nest’s New Security and Home Automation System: Implications for Thread, Weave, Insurtech
Logitech Video Q&A: Harmony Pro Remote Is Ideal for IoT Mid-Market
Savant Now Offers a Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Enabled Touchscreen Thermostat
View more on Control & Automation