Print  |  Email  |  Share  |  News  |  Follow on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or RSS

Elan’s New g! Control System is ‘Biggest Product Introduction Ever’

Home Automation and multiroom A/V system blends the best of Elan and HomeLogic, with unified interfaces including on-screen display; starting price points are 'in the ballpark' of Control4 and Crestron Prodigy

Elan Home Systems, a pioneer in home controls, is totally revamping its line of home automation and multiroom A/V products in a roll-out that is "history in the making," says Paul Starkey, VP sales and marketing.

The details cannot be revealed just yet, but CE Pro had an in-depth preview of the product and we can vouch for Starkey's assessment that "It's the biggest product introduction ever for our company."

The new line, called "g!", is a perfect blend of Elan and HomeLogic, the progressive developer of IP-based control systems acquired by Elan in 2007.

Until now, the two companies generally operated in their own worlds, with much of the innovation – like cool new GUIs -- coming from HomeLogic. In the new g! line, the graphics are elegant and consistent across a variety of interfaces, including an Ole-like OLED display, iPhone, PC, new touchscreens, and some surprising new form factors that definitely bring Elan up to date in the style, mobility and IP departments.

And, yes, the g! comes with Elan's first on-screen display for controlling the system via the television.

Not only is the new system stylish, it is also more modular in design than legacy Elan products. That means it makes sense for virtually any installation, "from single-room to large-scale mansion-level," Starkey says.

We won't divulge pricing here, but suffice it to say that g! can be competitive with some of the other affordable systems on the market -- "in the ballpark" of Control4 and Crestron Prodigy, says Starkey.

Integrators could put together a decent multiroom system for less than $5,000.

The product line will launch in phases in 2010, with the software available on April 1. The software works with legacy Elan and HomeLogic systems so it can be deployed in existing projects.

The rest of g! will be available by September 2010.

Currently, 20 dealers (the g! 20) are beta-testing the system, according to Starkey.

In the meantime, Elan is planning a lively online launch on January 1, with games and prizes. By the end of today, you can register on the g! teaser site gvangelist.com .

Check cepro.com on new year's eve for all of the details.

Graphics are unified throughout the new family of Elan g! interfaces -- these are just some of them

Register at gvangelist.com later today to get your g! game on

News · Product News · Audio · Distributed Audio · Home Automation and Control · Control Systems · Elan · Elan G · Affordable Automation · G · All topics

Julie Jacobson, Co-Founder, EH Publishing / Editor-at-large, CE Pro
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Follow her on Twitter @juliejacobson. [More by Julie Jacobson]

Posted by Simon Scotland  on  12/18  at  09:54 AM

Software launch on April 1?

That sounds like a great date - are they serious or is the whole thing an early April Fool?

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  12/18  at  10:10 AM

Doh!

Posted by networkpro  on  12/18  at  11:30 AM

Elan Tools was promised 4 years ago and still never appeared, I doubt they’re making this April 1rst date!

Posted by mark65  on  12/18  at  11:37 AM

This is huge.  I’m looking forward to it.

And ElanTools has been available for quite some time.  I’ve used it on several jobs.  As a matter of fact I just got my update this morning to use the DT22.

Posted by Steve B  on  12/18  at  12:18 PM

Thats exactly what I’ll be doing on New Years Eve… Logging into the site to check out Elan’s product release…

Kidding aside - If a product wont ship until late 2010 why bother hyping it in Jan ?  ANSWER: Dealers have been running from elan to other product lines due to lack of innovation for the past 5 years.. And I am speaking as one of these dealers (have been since the days of the HD system and the SquareD Smart House days..)

(1) I truly hope the product becomes a real product and (2) actually works well

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  12/18  at  12:24 PM

Steve B, not quite. You’ll be checking my story on cepro.com New Years Eve—a far more exciting event. Elan’s stuff won’t be live til New Year’s day!

Anyway, you certainly can’t knock the innovation on the HomeLogic side of things, and the new g line really builds on that.

Posted by networkpro  on  12/18  at  12:32 PM

Steve B,  I couldn’t agree with you more!  We’re in the exact same situation as you!  Sold Elan since the Square D days as well, but their lack of innovation has killed them and no changing the faceplates on their product does not count as innovation!  They’ve suckered CEPRO into hyping non existent product in order to keep dealers on the line in hopes that more dealers won’t jump ship in 2010,  I predict a December 2011 launch for this product!

As far as Elan Tools, why is it that Elan reps are telling their dealers not to use it?  We have it too, does it work? NO is it full of bugs YES…  If you’re still selling Elan as a control solution you’re missing the boat just like they are.

Posted by Matt  on  12/18  at  12:51 PM

Is all of this new Elan product OEM’d from Crestron? smile

Posted by 15 year Dealer  on  12/18  at  01:11 PM

Elan’s lack of inovation, laughably terrible software, vaperware “sell in” practices, an an utter lack of organization over the last 5 years or more has got them where they are now, a disheveled company in disarray, pumping more vaporware that will be overprommised and underdelivered.

They need a new Executive staff to jump start a totally new way of thinking overthere.

Ohh, and let’s here the names of these “20 dealers” testing the new “system” out. They said the same thing about thier 5 year long ELANtools project, that seams to me was a huge waste of money. It’ll be abandoned before it’s even fully functional and bug free!

Posted by IntegratorsAnon  on  12/18  at  06:32 PM

I would love to know the g! 20 list. Talk to them about how it really works. I remember the release of the SS1 and the fact that it caused two client’s systems to miss deadlines. Why? Because Elan promised us the proper functioning of the product by a date and it wasn’t until 2 weeks later when a patch was released that the systems came close to working.

I sincerely hope that this product release is not as painful because Elan dealers are losing respect in the integrator community. I know Nortek has come out of Chap 11 now but lord knows that if Elan doesn’t pull this one off Elan will be going down the tubes like all the other victims of the economic crisis.

I look forward to the new release but let’s hope it leans more on HomeLogic and less on Elan. Most of all let’s all hope it works!

Looks cool though. Horay new toys! Whether they’re bricks or they’re gems.

Posted by Gary N.  on  12/18  at  06:37 PM

Julie, the inovation at Homelogic virtually ended when Elan bought them. Really. They are so internally conflicted on how to manage them, it has basically stopped them in thier tracks. Ask the dealers thier opinions before passing on the baseless hype from a PR person or sales manager. They’ve lost the trust in the marketplace, time after time.

I agree with “15 year dealer” above, they need a new Pres/CTO and EVP to lead them back.

Posted by jay  on  12/19  at  04:36 AM

Another die off for Crestron and Control4 to beat out of the business. Team up or don’t attempt this waste of TIME!

Posted by Dave Stevens  on  12/19  at  08:05 AM

Personally, I’m checking out the new Nu-Tone line up of intercom systems for cutting edge whole house audio systems. From what I hear, you not only get the built in FM tuner, you can also install a Sony CD Walkman to play through the entire system.

Wait a minute I take that back… I just realized that the, “This Old House,” episode that demonstrated the new product line was originally broadcast in 1980. I knew Bob Villa & Norm were no longer working together… My bad.

Posted by IntegratorsAnon  on  12/19  at  09:24 AM

I wanted to note something. On the 18th this was stated, “By the end of today, you can register on the g! teaser site gvangelist.com.” I have been watching the site and saw when the flash intro was finally put up and here we are today(19th)... still haven’t seen anywhere to register(Although we got some teaser screenshots).

This is so typical of Elan and doesn’t show well for a company thats losing dealers. I hope it isn’t an indication of things to come with the g! product. Elan I hope you’re watching all the comments and listening.

Posted by BE  on  12/19  at  10:25 AM

I still do not see a remote.  I don’t know about everyone else, but i do not like programming subsystems and then have to program a control system to talk to the subsystems.  I definitely do not like using a touch screen to channel surf.

Page 1 of 4 comment pages  1 2 3 >  Last »