Vinyl is a fun means to listen to music, but it is not perfect. One of the issues listeners often face is the background noise the medium often makes naturally. Hoping to alleviate this issue is the MoFi Super HeavyWeight record weight.
MoFi Electronics' new Super HeavyWeight record weight is described by the company as a “super noise killer,” and a product that can be used with a variety of turntables.
Developed in tandem with Mike Latvis of Harmonic Resolution Systems (HRS), MoFi Electronics' record weight utilizes a proprietary HRS polymer material that is designed for high levels of noise absorption. The record weight also serves as an “internal decoupled mass damping system” that works on multiple levels of turntable noise.
Housed in a non-magnetic aluminum housing, the Super HeavyWeight couples vinyl records to record platters to reduce record grove, platter, and bearing noises during vinyl playback.
According to MoFi Electronics, the use of the Super HeavyWeight by vinyl users will result in increased resolution through the weight's ability to clean up background noise and improve clarity, dynamics, and low frequency impact.
MoFi Super HeavyWeight Record Weight Technical Highlights
- The Super HeavyWeight's dimensions are: 3-inch diameter, and 1.355-inches tall
- MoFi specifies the Super HeavyWeight to weigh 3.67 grams, which allows its use on a wide range of turntables
- Comprised of billet-machined 6061 aluminum, the Super HeavyWeight is rugged and easy to grip
- The underside of the the record weight features a proprietary HRS polymer that won't damage records, while absorbing record grove noise, plater noise, and bearing noise
- MSRP for the MoFi Super HeavyWeight is $199
MoFi Electronics is a Chicago-based consumer electronics importer/distributor, and some of the other brands it represents includes Quad, Balanced Audio Technology, and Wharfedale.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!