Universal Electronics to Debut Nevo Butler Smart Home Hub at CES
UEI Nevo Butler voice control device combined with ‘Works with QuickSet’ program aimed at enabling broad third-party interoperability.
Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC) is tackling the smart home with the debut of its Nevo Butler end-to-end smart home hub with a built-in voice control, and a broader “Works with QuickSet” program that allows for seamless device interoperabililty. The device will launch at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2019) in Las Vegas next week (Sands #42325).
The unit is powered by UEI’s QuickSet Cloud and is “capable of addressing a wide range of the current installed base of devices in consumers’ homes, addressing a range of use cases and innovative new services in the smart home,” according to a press release.
Among the features of Nevo Butler are:
- Compatibility with third-party digital assistants.
- Far-field voice assistant platform that enables service providers to bring voice assistant capabilities for content discovery and control to existing pay-TV households without the need to upgrade current equipment.
- As a managed, white label smart home hub with a built-in digital assistant, the device allows home smart home brands to manage their installed base of devices, and address cross-brand interoperability with existing digital assistants and smart home hubs through UEI’s QuickSet Interoperability as a Service program.
- In residential and hospitality segments, the system enables converged services across entertainment, home safety and security, energy management, and more.
- Access to a growing ecosystem of devices through “Works With QuickSet” program, and channel specific Kits offered to accelerate market introduction.
- New service and monetization opportunities through Partner Service Marketplace initially previewing services in connectivity, analytics, cybersecurity and digital well-being.
Nevo Butler Controllable via ZigBee, Bluetooth
As a managed smart home hub with far field voice assistant capabilities, Nevo Butler is designed with security in mind with the UE878 multiprotocol chip built-in and pre-integrated with QuickSet Cloud to offer smart home device control across IP, ZigBee, ZigBee rf4ce, Bluetooth Smart, and Infrared.
Nevo Butler also comes pre-integrated with nevo.ai digital assistant offered as a white label service, and is capable of supporting other voice assistants in the platform.
Nevo Butler supports a simple, cloud-based, natural language interface to enable conversational device interactions, but also adds offline pre-defined voice commands. In addition to its voice-enabled control, Nevo Butler is offered in channel-specific kits bundled with a range of certified devices that include safety and security sensors, energy management controllers, and IoT lighting products.
“With Nevo Butler, we are delivering on the promise of unifying experiences across devices in the home – the entertainment device where consumers spend nearly 5 hours a day – and other smart home devices and services,” says Arsham Hatambeiki, SVP of Product and Technology for Universal Electronics Inc.
“This solution puts brands back at the forefront of the consumer experience, enabling consumers to interact with products and services without going through a single, global service and brings with it the confidence of device compatibility and interoperability.”
2019 State of the Industry Special Report - CE Pro Download
The custom electronics industry saw a healthy 8 percent growth rate in 2018, down slightly from the blazing 11 percent growth in 2017 but still admiringly strong. Our 2019 State of the Industry indicates that readers expect to see even more growth in 2019. Get your copy today.
Control & AutomationADT Ends Pulse, Adds Command & Control, Pauses Alexa Guard, Plots DIY
SnapAV Acquires MRI, Adding 4 NE Locations to Growing Distribution Empire
Biophilia and the Reason Smart-Home Pros Can Own the Wellness Category
Rayva Home Theater Helps Win Over Client, Elevates Brilliant AV Installation
Product Briefs: Sonos Joins D-Tools i3; Luxul Firmware; WiSA Certified Klipsch Speakers; McIntosh
View more on Control & Automation