Print  |  Email  |  Comments (23)  |  Share  |  News  |  Follow on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or RSS

Home Theater Boasts 73-inch HDTV, Apple TV, B&W Speakers

Papa Roach guitar player Jerry Horton enjoys his home theater with Rotel amps and B&W speakers

Unlike many recent rock bands, Papa Roach has staying power. Bucking the music trend of throwaway one-hit wonders, the group has been on a near decade run of top-selling albums.

Led by the talents of guitar player and songwriter Jerry Horton, the band has created a sound that fuses classic and modern rock.

When the band's current tour ends in September, Horton will go back to his family and his at-home activities, including his home theater.

Rocker of a Different Creed

Horton, a self-described A/V geek, says he spends his off time with his family, friends and his home theater, which provides him a multi-faceted entertainment outlet.

Horton built his first home theater shortly after the band's 2000 breakthrough release "Infest." "My first home theater setup didn't take long at all to choose," he recalls. "I went to my local electronics store and picked out the best Polk Audio speakers and the best Sony ES receiver they had and installed it myself in a couple of days. Since then it has been a constant project."

Horton's system includes a 73-inch Mitsubishi television, an HD DVR, an Apple TV and audio components from Rotel and Bowers & Wilkins (B&W).

"When I got enough money to really get a decent system I started with the brands I was familiar with, Sony and Polk Audio. This gave me a huge upgrade from what I had before," Horton says. "As I became more obsessed and did more research, I was attracted to B&W for the aesthetic quality of its speakers. When I was able to hear them I knew I wanted them for sure. I upgraded to the 600 Series [B&W] and was extremely happy.

"I got a hold of Lucette [Nicoll] of Nicoll Public Relations [the PR firm for B&W and Rotel] and she mentioned that B&W was putting together its ‘Society of Sound' and they wanted us to be a part of it. We obviously said ‘yes' and I was able to get an 800 Series setup with Rotel electronics. I didn't know Rotel before, but now that I have their components I really identify with their philosophy of building components with an emphasis on sound quality over frills."

Home Theater is a Family Favorite

Horton says, just like most men, he has to consider the wishes of his wife and daughter when he tinkers with his home theater.

Some of the things that he has done to accommodate his family's wishes include having his rear-surround in-ceiling speakers installed by an electronics professional, but he adds that he's done most of the setting up himself.

Additionally, when it comes to family entertainment activities involving the system they watch movies like "Horton Hears a Who" and listen to a lot of AC/DC records because that's his daughter's favorite band.

His personal preferences include movies like the "Matrix" series and a range of music that includes more than just rock. "I like jazz because there is usually so much space in those recordings and they image more easily than other types of music."

Horton does proudly point out that the recent addition of the Mitsubishi television has pleased his family with how it replicates a true theater-like experience in their living room. "Now when we watch movies on our new 73-inch [TV] my daughter says, ‘oh it looks like a movie theater in here," he boasts.

"My wife has always been cool with me having a home theater, but [she] wasn't into it until we got the new TV. It's amazing what an extra 18 inches will do for a home theater."

Home Theater Dreams

Eddie Van Halen once said that he's been chasing tone his whole life.

Horton can appreciate the chase for perfect tone and the perfect theater. In the case of his home theater, his aspirations include some familiar products from some well-known high-performance manufacturers.

"I would like someday to have a dedicated theater and a dedicated listening room," he says. "For the theater it would be a full complement of CT800 [B&W] speakers, Classe amplification and a Meridian 810 video system. For two-channel I already have the speakers I need.

I would also like Classe amplification for the two-channel. I would love to have one of those Clearaudio Statement [turntable] pieces, but I think it would be fun to build my own turntable."

News · Home Theater · Home Theater · All topics

Robert Archer, Senior Editor, CE Pro
Bob is an audio enthusiast who has written about consumer electronics for various publications within Massachusetts before joining the staff of CE Pro in 2000. Bob is THX Level I certified, and he's also taken classes from the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) and Home Acoustics Alliance (HAA). In addition, he's studied guitar and music theory at Sarrin Music Studios in Wakefield, Mass.

Posted by chirpie  on  08/12  at  08:28 AM

It’s fun to watch the celebs walk similar A/V paths to the rest of us. grin

Posted by Dr T Sanchez  on  08/12  at  12:37 PM

“Chirpie”: he doesn’t walk the same paths as us, he got the most expensive components either FREE or at a very steep discount.  I 100% disagree with you, all it does is infuriate me to see celebrities get free swag gimmies.  Sorry, but I don’t drink the corporate PR kool-aide…

Posted by Dr T Sanchez  on  08/12  at  12:39 PM

Plus, his music is utter garbage.  I like Metal and all, but Papa Roach is Nu-Metal drivel…

Posted by Bob  on  08/12  at  12:53 PM

Horton you’re admitting that your music and the rest of modern rock is too noisy. do the rest of us a favor don’t let your label/engineer increase the gain. leave your music quieter and let me use my own volume knob.

Posted by mots  on  08/12  at  01:25 PM

papa roach? staying power?  compress that shit, nice, LOUDER make it LOUDER!

utter garbage like Dr. T Sanchez said.

Posted by Moe  on  08/12  at  01:39 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that Horton has “Horton Hears a Who” playing on his home theater?

Posted by chirpie  on  08/12  at  02:07 PM

Wow Dr. T, you’re kinda mean spirited there. For the record, I spotted this in the article to relate to…

- Upgraded his gear with what he thought was the latest and greatest

- found the next “tier” in quality

- has to compromise due to WAF

- is now appreciating the benefits of higher end recordings

That’s basically true for all of us.

So he got some hi-end freebie gear at the end, I sure as heck would if I could.

Posted by chirpie  on  08/12  at  02:10 PM

And it’s worth pointing out that the article didn’t hide the fact he got it as freebie.

I still don’t get why you don’t like the fact that he’s pimping the brand as a trade off. Every sports icon in modern history would be hanged using your logic.

Posted by Dr T Sanchez  on  08/13  at  06:45 AM

Celebrities wouldn’t be celebrities if they didn’t have sycophants to fluff up their mediocre careers.  You don’t have much of a man-crush going on there, do ya?  The funny part is he is a pseudo-celebrity; unlike actual talented metal musicians from the past, NOBODY will know this guys name in 10 years.  No, I can’t relate; I have never had to meet the WAF, I make the money so I buy and do whatever I want.

Posted by Staplat Nallanah  on  08/13  at  12:06 PM

That place looks like a cross between San Francisco and a Turkish Prison.  The person who posted below me told me so.

Posted by Jerry Horton  on  08/13  at  12:07 PM

smile I like dudes !!  smile

Posted by Dr T Sanchez  on  08/13  at  12:55 PM

Next time, can we please get a real “Celebrity”.  Also, someone who actually has a truly impressive HT?  Seriously, I know people who have work at low-wage “McJobs” who have more impressive setups…

Posted by Steve Crowe  on  08/13  at  01:18 PM

@Dr T Sanchez,

Have those “McJobs” people send in their setups. We’d be more than happy to show them off.

Posted by Dr T Sanchez  on  08/13  at  01:55 PM

I don’t actually know them.  I heard it from my friend’s Brother-in-laws co-worker.  That and the story about the guy who strapped a J.A.T.O. rocket to his car.  Damn, you busted me, I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you damned meddling kids!!!  Either way his music is still nonsense, why doesn’t he just “tune down” the strings even lower that only Whales can hear it?

Posted by Northbynorthwest  on  08/13  at  04:03 PM

Wow, what an interesting story (not), what is it a slow news day. Who in the world or what in the world is a Papa Roach? I guess nobody else has a 73 inch TV.

Page 1 of 2 comment pages  1 2 >