Bowers & Wilkins has teamed up with Volvo Car Group for the 2015 Volvo XC90 audio system. It is Bowers & Wilkins first audio system built into a luxury SUV, while the Volvo XC90 is world’s first in-car system to implement Bowers & Wilkins tweeter-on-top technology.
The tweeters utilize technology from Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus speakers, including spiraling diffusion channels that soak up reflected sound and reduce resonance. The Volvo XC90 features 19 speakers driven by a Class D amplifier, delivering a total of 1,400 Watts power. Each speaker matches the interior acoustics of the car.
“With tweeter-on-top technology, more of the signal reaches the listener directly from the tweeter,” says Stuart Nevill, Bowers & Wilkins Head of Engineering. “So the XC90 system sounds incredibly tangible and lifelike.”
Additional details of the Bowers & Wilkins Audio System for Volvo XC90 include:
- 4 x 25mm Nautilus tweeters (front & rear doors)
- 2 x 100mm Kevlar cone midranges (front doors)
- 2 x 80mm Kevlar cone midranges (rear doors)
- 4 x 170mm long throw woofers (front & rear doors)
- 1 x two-way 100mm midrange/ 25mm tweeter units (dashboard)
- 2 x two-way 80mm midrange/ 25mm tweeter units (rear roof panel)
- 12-channel Class D amplifier
- Quantum Logic DSP with signal extraction, reverb extraction and spatial filtering
- 7.1 playback from mono, stereo and/or multichannel input