Home Theater

Bob Archer’s ‘Best of CEDIA’ Product Picks for 2017

Senior editor Bob Archer highlights 12 products from companies like Sony, Origin Acoustics, Triad, Dish and Just Add Power that stood out on the CEDIA 2017 show floor.

Posted by jdwiesch on September 12, 2017

where are the picks???

Posted by jdwiesch on September 12, 2017

ahh I see them

Posted by dbendell on September 13, 2017

I thought it was pretty sad to see that both Dish and DirecTV have made no attempts to bring 4k content to “real” channels. ESPN, networks to name a few. We now see more cord cutting/no TV viewers than people requesting subscription TV. People just live without! Sad, no content to keep the pace.

Posted by John Nemesh on September 14, 2017

@dbendell It’s not up to Dish, DirecTV or cable companies to bring the “real” channels up to 4k…quite the opposite.  They have the capability to deliver a 4k channel, but the broadcaster has to upgrade all of their cameras and production equipment to support 4k…and for ESPN in particular, that would mean BILLIONS of dollars in investment to get that going.  4k for broadcast WILL happen, but fortunately for us (and our customers), we dont HAVE to wait for broadcast…there is PLENTY of 4k content available on streaming services!

Posted by dbendell on September 14, 2017

most everything today is already filmed in 4K camera’s from these broadcasters.

Posted by dbendell on September 14, 2017

a 1080p TV looks twice as better than the new 4k tv’s, I will put $100 bill on that bet!

Posted by John Nemesh on September 14, 2017

I would take your bet, and win.  Quantum Dot tech…or OLED will put old 1080p sets to shame…yes, even the Pioneer plasmas.  And the cameras used are only a small part of the process in bringing 4k to the home.  You need a completely new production chain as well.  And I would disagree that “most everything today” is filmed in 4k in any case.

Posted by dbendell on September 15, 2017

John, I have pulled many 1080p TV’s out over the last few years, 100’s! Replaced them with Sony and LG. Even LG OLED. We have hooked up to Hopper/Hopper3/DirecTV they ALL look like CRAP compared to what the customer had with their 1080p. 720p or 1080i on the new 4k TV’s look horrible. They are over compressed and suffer in compression artifacts. When factory reps tell us they know, when I spend hours testing and submitting these finding to Dish engineers who then reply back with the info of I know we are working and have TV’s setup tying to fix this. All you had to do was walk into the Dish booth and see it for yourself. They are quite aware of the problem. BUT, as dealer, I have guys like you, a distributor, this magazine, and the TV industry trying to hide behind this huge flaw! Everybody knows its true, but no one wants to admit it. They say, just look at this 4k on YouTube or Amazon or Netflix. Sorry dudes, why popular as it may, most people have cable or sat in their homes.  The TV manufactures are pushing 4k like a car manufacture pushes “it can go 150 mph” but hey, how often can I go that fast?  The only TV so far I have seen that is better, is the new Sony OLED. Picture is much better than regular 4k sets.

Posted by dbendell on September 15, 2017

Posted by John Nemesh on September 14, 2017

Posted by dbendell on September 14, 2017

Posted by dbendell on September 14, 2017

most everything today is already filmed in 4K camera’s from these broadcasters.

Posted by John Nemesh on September 14, 2017