Grab Your Free Pass to CEDIA Expo 2018 -- Limited Time Offer!
Control & Automation

What Happens When Amazon Acquires a ‘Real’ Security Company Like Vivint, Guardian or Brink’s?

Acquiring a national alarm company could help Amazon increase recurring monthly revenue (RMR), but also pave the way for Amazon to become a chief security officer (CSO) and managed service provider for the home.

Posted by mbuzzard on May 18, 2018

I’m sure Lennar is pushing hard for this

Posted by Blefadts on May 18, 2018

It’s a matter of time, not if, I believe at will be Vivint or ADT.

Posted by Bum Fighter on May 18, 2018

I used to think you liked us Julie, but this article has me sitting here crying. Why do you to want Amazon to put us all out of business? No more soup for you!

Posted by Bum Fighter on May 18, 2018

I changed my mind. Julie’s still the best.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on May 19, 2018

[COMMENT FROM LEE JONES, SUPPORT SERVICES GROUP, WHO WAS UNABLE TO COMMENT DIRECTLY]:

“…We believe in Amazon research ….. we believe Amazon would not want to buy the Kodak film business in this era of digital photography.  Same applies to the alarm industry (sloppy analogy).  Why would anybody want to buy outdated deterrent alarm systems that contain nasty legacy liability, in a space that has less than 25% of the viable market. It would cost much more $ and time to buy and convert, than attract fresh new customers…”
Lee Jones; Support Services Group; LeeSSG@att.net

Posted by Adroit1 on May 20, 2018

Julie is only stating the obvious here. It is not a question of if Amazon will buy a security company, it is only a question of when. I wish it weren’t so, but it is going to happen anyway. When we read George Orwell’s 1984,we all assumed Big Brother was the government. We were wrong. The one working to become the real “Big Brother” is Jeff Bezos. That is not to say, though, Amazon will be able to accomplish its ruling of the world overnight. There is still room for the smaller guys who work smart, and stay in the high end. There is no way to compete with the likes of Amazon, so we have to learn to be in markets Amazon does not target, high end residential and commercial.

Posted by Adroit1 on May 20, 2018

Posted by Julie Jacobson on May 19, 2018

Lee Jones; Support Services Group; LeeSSG@att.net

Posted by Bum Fighter on May 18, 2018

I changed my mind. Julie’s still the best.

Posted by Bum Fighter on May 18, 2018

Posted by Blefadts on May 18, 2018

It’s a matter of time, not if, I believe at will be Vivint or ADT.

Posted by mbuzzard on May 18, 2018