The residential technologies company Roku, Inc., has announced that it has expanded its smart home lineup to include home monitoring devices, adding to the existing selection of security cameras, video doorbells, lighting, plugs, and more.
The company states the new Roku Home Monitoring System SE includes all of the components necessary to feel safe at home—two entry sensors, a motion sensor, a wire-free keypad, and a hub with a built-in siren—with the option to either monitor your home yourself or subscribe to professional 24/7 monitoring. The products will be available starting immediately online from the Roku website and exclusively in Walmart stores and on Walmart.com starting May 15.
“Roku’s new home monitoring system provides peace of mind, while being easier than ever to set up, control, and monitor,” comments Mark Robins, Vice President, Roku Smart Home.
“We are proud to further extend Roku’s Smart Home lineup with affordable, simple ways to secure the safety of any home.”
The Roku Home Monitoring System SE offers guided videos and illustrations that are designed to help facilitate fast system setup with no tools required. With Home, Away, and Off modes, and customizable monitoring rules through the system keypad or the Roku Smart Home mobile app, homeowners can control their systems remotely. System settings can also be configures to provide notifications when sensors detect an open or closed door, or when an alarm goes off. Other notification options include arming or disarming the system from home with the system keypad or on the go from the mobile app.
Roku Home Monitoring System is Aggressively Priced
The company points out the system was developed in partnership with Wyze labs. Roku claims the five-piece Roku Home Monitoring System SE is the most affordable home monitoring solution at $99, and it includes:
- Two entry sensors: Get notified on your phone when a door or window is opened, closed, or left open.
- Motion sensor: Get notified or automatically turn on a light when motion is detected. The system can ignore pets with an optional setting.
- Hub with built-in siren: Notify the house and the neighborhood if an emergency is detected.
- Keypad: Easily arm or disarm a home; change modes, or manually sound an alarm.
The system is expandable with additional entry sensors, motion sensors, and keypads.
Users have the option to self-monitor their homes for free or subscribe to affordable 24/7 professional monitoring, powered by Noonlight, a leader in smart professional monitoring. Roku Smart Home Professional Monitoring offers immediate response from live U.S.-based agents when an alarm is triggered, and subscribers can request emergency assistance with one tap in the Roku Smart Home mobile app or on the keypad. Professional Monitoring is available for $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year, and subscribers who choose annual billing receive 50% off their first year.
Additional Roku Smart Home products new to the portfolio include an advanced Roku Smart Light Strip+ SE that allows users to show up to 16 different colors at once and a Roku Solar Panel that powers the wire-free Roku Outdoor Camera SE.
Roku OS integration
Additionally, Roku Smart Home customers who also use a Roku player or TV powered by the Roku operating system, will be able to access these new features as the latest Roku TV OS rolls out automatically in the coming weeks:
- Monitor a home from a TV: See an on-TV notification and alarm countdown when a Roku Home Monitoring System SE is armed and a sensor is triggered.
- Access a camera event history from a TV: Experience seamless integration between a connected camera and doorbell smart home devices with the Roku Cameras app, which downloads automatically to a homeowner’s Roku player or TV powered by the Roku OS. View live camera footage, and click into “Events” to see previous recordings history filtered by preference.
- Control Roku Smart Home devices via Voice Control: All homeowners need to do is speak into a Roku remote or mobile app to control Roku lights or smart plugs, show live camera feeds on your Roku-powered TV screen, and more. Roku Voice integration now allows users to turn Roku lights on or off and change their brightness and color, hands-free or at the click of a button.
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!