The 17 Best Stories of 2018 That CE Pros Never Read
In 2018, many CE Pros skipped a lot of important business articles in favor of lighter fare. Let's change that.
Google Analytics shows that CE Pros love the high-tech stories, industry scandals amd cool smart-home installs we post on online. But they generally skip past the business articles in favor of the easier, breezier fare.
Yet, year after year, we get responses and surveys from industry professions suggesting they need to bolster their RMR, accounting, marketing, and HR.
When we asked the CE Pro 100 about the biggest challenges facing integrators in 2018, many of them cited troubles finding qualified employees, maintaining efficiency, and managing growth.
While these topics may not provide the wow factor, they are important reads nonetheless:
17 Business Stories You May Have Missed:
- In order to hire qualified employees, it's very important to ask the right questions and conduct yourself in the best way possible.
- June 06, 2018 Liberty Bell Smart Home transformed Control4-certified showroom to promote simple security and home-automation packages based on Alarm.com and Interlogix Ultrasync on the lower end, Control4 at the higher end.
- This is one of the CE Pro staff's favorite articles of the year! Richard Fairbrother of Bitstream Media discusses high-level concepts like Emotional Contagion and how listeners often mimic the emotions they perceive in music.
- It's a simple question: Buy or lease? CE Pro's Editor-in-Chief Jason Knott goes over the options to make your options as clear as possible.
- Okay, so 43 things is a lot, but there are a few key ones like making sure you're getting the most from your vendors in terms of support that are very important.
- Often, integrators avoid the topic of service during the sales phase because they don't want to scare customers away. Don't worry, it's important to set proper expectations off the bat.
- Among the highest-revenue home-technology installers, the biggest challenges for 2018 will be finding employees, tight product margins, maintaining efficiency, and supporting a profitable service/RMR business.
- Lots of clients pay via credit cards, but surcharges are a pain. How can you avoid this? Maybe consider offering a discount for those willing to pay with cash or checks.
- It's time to get ahead of the game and prep for 2019, so take a look at these luxury trends and know what to expect!
- From systems documentation to employee management to pricing labor, the industry’s highest-revenue integrators offer ideas for best practices to implement now.
- CEDIA, CTA, smart-home dealers and manufacturers share fears and strategies for impending tariff wars: on raising prices, absorbing costs, and communicating with clients while avoiding political arguments.
- Sometimes simplicity is best. In this case, the takeaway is simple enough: Big spenders don't necessarily need hugs to feel like valued customers. Take a page out of Amazon or Uber's book and go with a more basic approach to service.
- Some clients might balk at the price of a massive install, so consider breaking it down into chunks and be upfront about your market position.
- Deep down, many gamers are tech geeks interested in a $91 billion industry. That's a lot of money up for grabs for those willing to stock a few more products.
- Everyone loves a sale, and while many integrators offer a discount on their products, maybe what they should be doing is offering a discount on service/installations.
- Lelch Audio Video uses strong marketing techniques, specializes in basement remodeling, and embraces responsive service plans to target Millennials.
- No one likes having to let someone go, but by using some of these tips businesses can make the process and pain-free and respectful as possible.
7 Clever Ways to Hide Home Technology - CE Pro Download
Most technology products are not that visually appealing. Black boxes and tangled wires do not add to the character of a high-end smart home project. Luckily, our integrator readers have a number of clever solutions so these components don’t have to be visible in your next project.
Andrew is a journalist and educator living in the Providence area. He was previously the Editor-in-Chief of a gaming and tech website, and the Managing Editor of his university newspaper, The Torch. He received his Bachelors in Writing and Masters in Teaching from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Andrew on social media:
Business2018 CE Pro Masters Recognizes 14 Industry Stalwarts
People & Places: Stealth Hires Pruet; Jansen Joins NSC; SDVoE Anniversary; AtlasIED Appoints BP
ProSource Announces 2019 Members of the Year
CEDIA Board of Directors Approves 2019 Executive Commitee
InstallerNet Contractors Will Install Brilliant Home Automation Systems Nationwide
View more on Business