The 8K Association (8KA), which is a cross-industry group dedicated to promoting the growth of the 8K ecosystem, has published an updated performance specification for the 8K Association Certified mark program.
This certification program helps TV shoppers identify televisions that offer four times the resolution of 4K TVs, and TVs that meet the high-performance standards of the 8K Association Certified program, including benefits from the new broader performance requirements applied to 8K TVs launching in the market starting in 2021.
“During this difficult time when a communal movie theater experience is not possible for many, the availability of big-screen TVs with super-sharp 8K resolution offers an alternative cinematic option at home,” says Dan Schinasi, director of product planning at Samsung Electronics America.
“With the 8K Association’s support to promote performance standards that include audio-video performance and interface standards, we expect that more homes will choose 8K TVs and more 8K content will be increasingly available in those homes in the year ahead, offering a safe and exceptional home theater experience.”
The trade group points out that in addition to the existing requirements for resolution, luminance, color and connectivity standards that ensure performance, the 8K Association Certified logo program now recognizes a broader set of video decoding standards that will promote the wider availability of 8K streaming content.
The 8K Association group also emphasizes the updated requirements for its certification program ensures that 8K TVs can enable access to advanced multi-dimensional surround sound formats for a truly immersive home theater experience.
In addition to the 8KA’s updated performance standard for TVs, the organization expects to promote the growth of the 8K ecosystem in the year ahead with a focus on educating video content creators on the benefits of capturing, finishing and distributing video in 8K resolution.
8 Points of Thought Related to the 8K TV Certification Program
- There are more than 33 million pixels in an 8K resolution display
- Global TV sales share in the first three quarters of 2020 by 8KA member TV brands exceeds 50%
- Global 8K TV shipment growth in the first three quarters of 2020 over the previous year grew by more than 100%
- All of the major game console makers launched 8K capable consoles in 2020
- Supported throughput speed of Ultra High Speed HDMI cables that are needed to deliver 8K resolution to 8K Association Certified TVs is 48Gbps
- The number of audio channels available in the 8K broadcast service launched by Japanese broadcaster NHK starting in 2018 is 22.2 audio channels
- Number of years from the time when top global regions TV market share of 4K resolution TVs 50 inches and larger represented is less than 1% market share to the time when it represented 100% market share is 6 years
- The 8K Association notes that it is working on the number of years from the time when the global TV market share of 8K resolution TVs 65 inches and larger represented will represent 100% market share
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!