CE Pro Names Top 20 Most Influential People of 20 Years [PR]
Sam Runco, Noel Lee and George Feldstein top the list of the most influential people in custom electronics since the industry’s leading publication launched in 1993.
Celebrating 20 years in print, CE Pro magazine, the leading publication for the custom electronics channel, has named the 20 people that made the biggest impact on the industry in the past two decades.
The magazine names 17 other influencers, as well as well as 27 honorable mentions. In addition, CE Pro names the six industry pioneers who might be considered the “Father of Home Automation.”
EH Publishing was founded by Jacobson and CEO Ken Moyes in 1994 with the acquisition Electronic House, which has been published since 1986 and remains the only consumer magazine focused on the connected home.
CE Pro’s Humble Beginnings
The first issue of CE Pro – the trade magazine for professionals who install and integrate audio, video, home automation, and other home technologies – appeared in 1993 as an insert in Electronic House. At the time, it was called H.A. Pro for “home automation.”
The first standalone issue of the magazine was published in 1995 with Tom Doherty – one of CE Pro’s Top 20 – on the cover. He was then, and still is an influential integrator with Doherty Design Group. He also co-founded CEDIA, launched the music management category with Escient and spawned the CD database aggregator Gracenote.
“Doherty might not be as well known as some of the other influencers on the list,” says Jacobson, who authored the Top 20 piece, “but those who have been in the business for 20-plus years will recognize his enormous contributions to the industry.”
Indeed, many on the list are the “forgotten ones” who pushed the industry forward either through technological innovations, training, evangelism or sheer passion, according to Jacobson.
“We felt it was our duty to celebrate some of the people who got us here, even those like Russ Herschelmann, who left the industry many years ago to run a bed-and-breakfast,” she says.
Jacobson adds, “I suspect it will be a very controversial list and we look forward to the feedback.”
The Top 20 story appears in the February issue of CE Pro magazine, and it is now live in the digital issue of the magazine. The entire story will be posted at CEPro.com on Wed., Jan. 23.
The List: CE Pro’s Most Influential People of the Past 20 Years
- #1 Sam Runco, Founder and CEO (retired), Runco International
- #2 Noel Lee, founder and CEO, Monster (formerly Monster Cable)
- #3 George Feldstein, founder and CEO, Crestron
- Jeremy Burkhardt, former owner and president (retired), SpeakerCraft
- Scott Struthers, founder and principal, Sonance, iPort, TruFIG
- Joel Spira, founder and CEO Lutron Electronics
- Tomlinson Holman, founder, THX
- Joe Kane, founder, Joe Kane Productions
- Joe Piccirilli, managing director (retired), AVAD
- Chris Stevens, founderPhoenix Systems, AudioAccess, iControl; president, Harman Kardon
- Will West and Eric Smith, founders, Control4
- Tom Doherty, founder, Doherty Design Group
- Russ Herschelmann, home theater designer
- Anthony Grimani, founder, PMI, Ltd.
- Don Stewart, EVP, Stewart Filmscreen
- Eric Johnson, Product developer, instructor
- Tricia Parks, founder and CEO, Parks Associates
- Joel Silver, president and founder, Imaging Science Foundation
- Bob Carver, founder, Sunfire
- Daniel Tonks, founder, RemoteCentral.com
About CE Pro
CE Pro (Custom Electronics Professional) is the leading trade publication for businesses that specify, install and integrate technology for homes and light commercial, including audio, video, automation, security, lighting controls, energy management, motorized shades, assistive devices and more. CE Pro magazine is published in print, and as a digital issue. Leading industry Web site CEPro.com generates roughly 700,000 page views per month. CE Pro can be found at http://www.cepro.com and on Twitter @ce_pro.
About EH Publishing
EH Publishing, Inc., based in Framingham, Mass., is the leading media firm serving the custom electronics, information technology, house of worship, pro audio, robotics, and supply chain markets. Flagship brands include CE Pro, Electronic House, ChannelPro-SMB, Live Sound International, ProSoundWeb.com, Worship Facilities Conference & Expo (WFX), TechDecisions, Robotics Business Review, Supply Chain Management Review, Logistics Management, and Modern Materials Handling. Visit http://www.ehpub.com.
NewsADT Could Go Public for $15B as Early as 2018
GoldenEar Technology Q&A: Use ‘Dolby Surround’ to Sell Customers on Upgrading Their Systems
Product Briefs: D-Tools Online Training & BlueDog Partnership; RTI 3-Year Warranty Program
People & Places: Sterns & Smith Join Azione Board; Paradigm, Anthem & MartinLogan Hire Sinclair
Pro Audio Technology: High Dynamic Range (HDR) Applies to Audio Too
View more News