Terminate HDMI Cables in the Field! AudioQuest Solves HDMI’s Biggest Challenge
Field-terminated HDMI cables? They said it couldn't be done, but AudioQuest's solution lets installers run cable now, terminate later, and maintain the integrity of HDMI.
The inability to terminate HDMI cable in the field has been the number-one pain point among A/V installers. AudioQuest comes to the rescue.
"When you do soldering [in the factory], quality is very hard to control," Lu says. "With us, you just pull the wires through and the integrity is maintained by the mechanical design. The only problem is if you feed the wrong color wire through."
Lest installation technicians make such a silly mistake in the field, new testing tools from AudioQuest will diagnose the error.
Field Termination and HDMI Certification
HDMI Licensing, LLC, the organization that certifies cables for HDMI compliance, has some soul-searching to do.
Lu says that HDMI execs are intrigued by the AudioQuest product but skeptical about certification. The integrity of a cable, after all, is contingent on the quality of the field termination, right?
Lu doesn't buy that argument. Most dealers already run HDMI over field-terminated Cat 5 cables, he explains.
He says that AudioQuest is working with HDMI Licensing to figure out a way to certify field-terminated cables.
Hallelujah for Field Terminated Cable!
The inability to terminate HDMI cable in the field is probably the number-one pain point of A/V professionals. The benefits of field terminated HDMI cable are so obvious they hardly bear mentioning.
- Pull bundles of HDMI cable through the wall without having to worry about the huge connector heads.
- Futureproof homes by pulling the cable now, and terminating later if necessary.
- Buy just what you need. If you need a 1.6m cable, you don't have to pay for a 2m product.
- Keep your racks tidy by eliminating the ugly excess from pre-cut cables.
- And the number one biggest benefit of all: You can repair HDMI in the field! If a cable or connector gets mangled in the field (darn those electrical contractors), you can repair it simply, without having to rewire the home.
Lu says the field terminated HDMI cables and connectors will ship in the second quarter. Pricing will be similar to the company's pre-terminated products.