Get the Lead Out! Certification Deadline Looms
Your guide to avoiding $37,500 per day penalties and getting certified before the EPA’s lead paint rule takes effect April 22.
CE pros not already certified as lead renovators under the EPA’s Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Program Rule, which goes into effect April 22, are probably getting nervous.
Those not in compliance face $37,500 per day penalties, according to CEDIA.
Companies affected include:
- Those working in residences built before 1978
- Those working in buildings occupied by pregnant women or children under six built before 1978
- Those renovating, repairing or painting in areas more than six square feet in an interior room or 20 square feet on an exterior wall
- Those replacing windows and/or doors
To become certified, companies must …
1. Complete a CEDIA online course ($49)
2. Attend a hands-on portion of the training hosted by CEDIA at select ADI locations ($149)
3. Pass an exam, offered during the hands-on portion of training
4. Companies complete an application to become a certified firm ($300) and have one employee who has earned the Certified Lead Renovator credential.
Tom has been covering consumer electronics for six years. Before that, he wrote for the sports department of the Boston Herald. Migrating to magazines, he was a staff editor for a golf publication and an outdoor sports publication. Now, as senior writer/technology editor of CE Pro magazine since 2003, he dabbles in all departments and offers expertise in marketing. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Tom at email@example.com
Follow Tom on social media:
NewsVivint: The End of $99 Installs in the Security and Home Automation Biz?
ISE 2017: NuVo Bolsters Ecosystem for Whole-House Wireless Audio, Including New DSPs
Target Seriously Upgrades Its IoT Retail Presence
Build Media Devices that Float Above Yourself When Entertainment is Delivered from a Higher Plane
Chicago-Area Integrator Helps Ailing Children Feel ‘Almost Home’ in Upgraded Charity Facility
View more News