Get the Lead Out! Certification Deadline Looms
Your guide to avoiding $37,500 per day penalties and getting certified before the EPA’s lead paint rule takes effect April 22.
CE pros not already certified as lead renovators under the EPA’s Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Program Rule, which goes into effect April 22, are probably getting nervous.
Those not in compliance face $37,500 per day penalties, according to CEDIA.
Companies affected include:
- Those working in residences built before 1978
- Those working in buildings occupied by pregnant women or children under six built before 1978
- Those renovating, repairing or painting in areas more than six square feet in an interior room or 20 square feet on an exterior wall
- Those replacing windows and/or doors
To become certified, companies must …
1. Complete a CEDIA online course ($49)
2. Attend a hands-on portion of the training hosted by CEDIA at select ADI locations ($149)
3. Pass an exam, offered during the hands-on portion of training
4. Companies complete an application to become a certified firm ($300) and have one employee who has earned the Certified Lead Renovator credential.
Tom has been covering consumer electronics for six years. Before that, he wrote for the sports department of the Boston Herald. Migrating to magazines, he was a staff editor for a golf publication and an outdoor sports publication. Now, as senior writer/technology editor of CE Pro magazine since 2003, he dabbles in all departments and offers expertise in marketing. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Tom at [email protected]
Follow Tom on social media:
NewsAbove and Beyond: Beyond Home Theater Uses D-Tools to Nail Every Design, Every Time
Apollo Enclosures New 75” All-Weather TV Enclosure Takes Outdoor Entertainment to the Next Level
New Dealers Join HTSA at Spring Conference in San Diego
CE Pro People & Places: HTSA Grows Membership; GoVisionT Appoints PSG; Visual Solutions Hires Fife
Ring Becomes IoT Powerhouse Overnight, Hires Entire Zonoff Smart-Home Team
View more News