Print  |  Email  |  Comments (6)  |  Share  |  News  |  Follow on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or RSS

Fuming Over Xfinity TV Glitch: ‘Nice Job Again Comcast’

"Verizon FIOS, anyone?" Irate Comcast subscribers were stranded over Thanksgiving holidays without streaming Xfinity.tv shows, and the glitches continue.

Xfinity subscribers are irate over a glitch in the cable company’s new streaming service.

TV shows and movies play for about 5 minutes and then cut off, leaving viewers with this message: “Sorry this video is currently unavailable.”

Xfinity (formerly Comcast) officially launched its Internet TV service in October as a way to keep (more) subscribers from cutting the cable cord for cheaper online options. Of course, Xfinity.tv doesn’t reduce your cable bill, but it does offer a reason to stick it out a little bit longer.

For Xfinity cable customers, the online service offers far more current shows than Hulu Plus, and seemingly about the same number of streaming TV shows offered by Netflix. If you subscribe to premium cable stations, you get those online and on demand as well.

So last night I was catching up on the current season of "Weeds" via Xfinity.tv when the video cut out at the 4:31 mark.

It was the same problem – although a different error number – as the one that was “fixed” just a few days ago after countless Xfinity customers were stranded over the Thanksgiving holiday without their favorite shows.

On getsatisfaction.com, angry Xfinity subscribers are threatening to defect.

On Nov. 25, Paul Goad posted:

this is why i am going back to dish tv

THIS IS NOT SOLVED paying for services that dont work u want your money every month but cant keep stuff working

In the same spirit, shreesinha posted:

This is ridiculous... hoped to spend the long weekend catching up on a couple of seasons of Dexter, but no luck - I either get an error message 5 mins in, or "video is unavailable". Tried rebooting, refreshing, clearing memory cache, using different browsers, nothing works!!

Like someone said earlier, Comcast has no problem billing me more than a couple of hundred bucks each month for a service I can't use. Verizon FIOS, anyone?

Meanwhile, you still can’t get streaming Xfinity on the iPad.

When I first tried it a few weeks ago, it worked beautifully. There I was riding my stationary bike to the tune of Glee. After a couple of days, however, Xfinity stopped streaming to the iPad.

When I inquired about the issue via Twitter on Nov. 16, I got this answer from @ComcastBill: "@juliejacobson should be fixed by next moth with update."

Sadly, the name change to Xfinity did little to erase the legacy of “Com-crap”.

As James Marino posted on getsatisfaction.com, “I really didn't expect this to work. nice job again Comcast.”

UPDATE: Following last night's snafu with "Weeds," Xfinity.tv seems to be working today.

News · Product News · Video · Digital Media · Streaming Media · Xfinity · Comcast · Xfinity.tv · All topics

Julie Jacobson, Co-Founder, EH Publishing / Editor-at-large, CE Pro
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Follow her on Twitter @juliejacobson.

Posted by Eyal Kattan  on  11/30  at  09:00 AM

Julie,

did you call them to find out what Error 8001 mean? wink

Eyal Kattan

Posted by Julie Jacobson  on  11/30  at  09:04 AM

It’s the same Error as 7002 and 7005!

Posted by John Nemesh  on  11/30  at  11:28 AM

I too have been very frustrated with the madness associated with viewing TV on the net!

I have had FIOS service (TV and internet) for about 2 and a half years now…and I was caught in the mess when Frontier took over Verizon’s business in Washington State.

Unfortunately, all of the online services that were available from Verizon (HBO and EPIX on demand over the internet, and the internet widget that enabled my Android phone to control my DVR) simply disappeared once Frontier took over!

A call to customer service was unhelpful, other than to tell me that Frontier has no intention of paying extra money to the companies to restore these services.

I STILL think they have better picture quality (and a better DVR GUI) than Comcast craptastic service, but I am getting VERY close to just going with Netflix and Hulu and saying to hell with cable!

For the OUTRAGEOUS prices we pay for cable TV, you would think that we would actually get some VALUE from these companies…more and more, I just feel like they are bleeding us all dry.

Posted by Steve Jackson  on  12/01  at  09:27 AM

I worked for Comcast years ago, as a matter of fact, I was there when they first introduced HD.  Man, we had problem after problem. It would take 45 mins or so just to provision the box and it would go out within a day or so.  There were nodes that were never working and still have issues. Now they change their name?!  At their headend in Vinnings (Atl,GA) there is a DirecTV HD Dish on the building

Posted by Eyal Kattan  on  12/01  at  09:42 AM

“...At their headend in Vinnings (Atl,GA) there is a DirecTV HD Dish on the building..”

Could be a great picture if we can catch the dish and their logo together… wink

Posted by Nicole  on  01/21  at  09:25 PM

Ughh, I would definitely be frustrated with that kind of service. I’m subscribed to DISH Network and I’m very pleased with the Sling Adapter. I’m able to watch all my live TV programming and DVR’s right on my Smartphone. I can even watch it on my laptop wherever high-speed internet is accessible. I work for DISH and know that being entertained has never been so smooth and I can do it everywhere.

Page 1 of 1 comment pages