Comparing Amazon, Hulu Plus, iTunes, Netflix, Vudu
Which video streaming service provides the best bang for the buck? Compare price, selection, audio quality, video quality, supported devices and more
Which streaming video service offers the best quality audio? Which has the most movies with subtitles? Which has the richest parental controls?
Our friend (and neighbor) Gabe Gagliano at Tech of the Hub created an incredible chart comparing these and other features of the major premium video services: Amazon Instant and Prime, Hulu Plus, iTunes, Netflix and Vudu.
Click for the full chart
He offers some excellent analysis to go with the chart, including these notable updates since the last update in Q3:
Other notable changes since the August-September 2011 update:
- Vudu has more than doubled the number of TV seasons on its service from 333 to 839. Of those, 504 seasons are available in HD quality.
- Hulu Plus has doubled the number of TV seasons available in HD from 275 to 595
- iTunes has significantly increased the number of movies available in HD to 4,243 from 2,893
- Netflix now has over 1,000 TV episodes and movies available in surround sound.
- Hulu Plus now has almost half of its TV episodes captioned.
- While only a fraction of Netflix’s movies offer closed captions, half of the TV episodes are now captioned (over 20,000 of almost 40,000).
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Email Julie at [email protected]
NewsBuilder to Push Apple HomeKit Home Automation to 47,000 Homes
Corian Countertops as a ‘Wireless Charging Surface’? Well, Not Exactly
Report: HHGregg to File for Bankruptcy Soon
Michael Flink Quietly Replaces David Paja as Honeywell Security & Fire President
Going Beyond Geographical Boundaries
View more News