10 Best (Worst) Tablet Names Ever
By the time CES is over, there will be 100 tablets on the market, some with funky names. How about we invent a cool name?
Remember when iPad debuted and everyone was laughing about the name and how it sounded like a tampon?
Since then we have had many other funky names for touchscreens, starting with Google (Android) and Samsung (Galaxy). But now manufacturers are taking the names to the stratosphere. At CES, we are hearing tablets from Vizio (VIA), RIM (PlayBook), Dell (The Streak), Motorola (Xoom), AOC (Breeze), Malata (Z-Pad). Then we have some with rather boring names, like the one from eLocity (A10).
Companies pay a lot of money to have marketing firms come up with those names. Here are 10 ideas for new tablet names (forgive me if some of these have been taken):
- The Tablet (simple and to the point)
- TouchMe/TickleMe (perfect tablet for Sesame Street Elmo apps)
- The Chewbacca (vs. the Droid … get it?)
- The Swipe (I really like this one)
- Give Me The Finger (provocative, but true)
- The Pinch (again, calls out the functionality)
- The Tylenol (hey, it’s the original “tablet.”)
- Uranus (very galactic, and Uranus is always getting a bad rap compared to the other planets. I can already see the marketing: “Just touch Uranus to activate.”
- Control/Kaos (good for home automation apps, but only Get Smart fans will get this one)
What name do you want to call your new tablet?
Jason has covered low-voltage electronics as an editor since 1990. He joined EH Publishing in 2000, and before that served as publisher and editor of Security Sales, a leading magazine for the security industry. He served as chairman of the Security Industry Association’s Education Committee from 2000-2004 and sat on the board of that association from 1998-2002. He is also a former board member of the Alarm Industry Research and Educational Foundation. He is currently a member of the CEDIA Education Action Team for Electronic Systems Business. Jason graduated from the University of Southern California. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Jason at [email protected]
Follow Jason on social media:
NewsCrestron Opens New Design Showroom in South Florida
Marantz Releases Full Size Network Receiver with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, 4K, HDR
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg: I’ll Build a Simple AI to Run My Home
CE Pro People & Places: Klipsch Appoints EMEA Sales VP; Atlona Names Ramos; Metra Hires Ellis
Peek Inside Jerry Bruckheimer’s Barco Home Cinema
View more News