Control & Automation

Leedarson’s Arrival Sensor: The Most Interesting Little Z-Wave Device at ISE 2017

New "Arrival Sensor" from Leedarson lets a home automation system know if you're coming or going -- like an iBeacon but with Z-Wave.

Arrival Sensor from Leedarson lets a Z-Wave home automation system know if you're coming or going -- a winning product at ISE 2017.

Julie Jacobson · February 9, 2017

Leedarson, a giant in LED lighting, could be the biggest sleeper in home automation. Already making smart-lighting products for just about every major building-control protocol, the company began working with Z-Wave about one year ago and introduced a winning product at ISE 2017 this week.

The "Arrival Sensor" lets a smart-home system know if users are entering or leaving the premises. The control system then would enact different scenes based on the activity, for example, setting the home to away mode when everyone's left the place, or automatically unlocking the door when a resident arrives home.

It works kind of like an iBeacon but uses Z-Wave instead of Bluetooth.

It seems like such an obvious product, but "the challenge was in knowing if you're entering or leaving the network without taking any action of your own like pressing a button," says industry consultant Avi Rosenthal, who was manning the booth at the Z-Wave Pavilion at ISE.

Leedarson apparently has a patent pending on the solution, which pings a Z-Wave system every so often to let it know you're around ... or not.

There's a built-in accelerometer that works some magic in the background, preserving battery life when the device is idle.

The user enrolls the product into a control system just like other Z-Wave devices. And, no, you can't enroll it into multiple control systems. So if you want one for both the home and the office, you'll have to buy two (for now).

At ISE, the Z-Wave folks are demonstrating how the lights at the booth turn green when one particular person enters the space, blue when another arrives, and purple when they're both in the area.

The demo unit at the show was in a keyfob form factor, but the technology could be embedded in any type of device.

Definitely watch out for Leedarson in the home-automation space.

Save $100 When You Enter the CEPro BEST Product Awards Before May 24

Every year our editors recognize the most advanced products in the professional installation market. Wouldn't you like to tell your customers that your products are among this exclusive group? Enter the CEPro BEST Product Awards and give your sales team something to shout about. Early bird pricing ends May 24.

Julie Jacobson is founding editor of CE Pro, the leading media brand for the home-technology channel. She has covered the smart-home industry since 1994, long before there was much of an Internet, let alone an Internet of things. Currently she studies, speaks, writes and rabble-rouses in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V, wellness-related technology, biophilic design, and the business of home technology. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, and earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin. She is a recipient of the annual CTA TechHome Leadership Award, and a CEDIA Fellows honoree. A washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player, Julie currently resides in San Antonio, Texas and sometimes St. Paul, Minn. Follow on Twitter: @juliejacobson Email Julie at julie.jacobson@emeraldexpo.com

Follow Julie on social media:
Twitter · LinkedIn · Google+

Julie also participates in these groups:
LinkedIn · Google+

View Julie Jacobson's complete profile.

Control & Automation · Automation · Lighting · Events · ISE · News · Products · Leedarson · Z-Wave · All Topics
CE Pro Magazine

Read More Articles Like This… With A Free Subscription

CE Pro magazine is the resource you need to keep up-to-date on the latest products, techniques, designs and business practices. Subscribe today!

Comments

Posted by antoniohardeman on February 19, 2017

@iluvdimmers,

The difference is that the arrival sensor that’s mentioned in this article is Z-wave based and it will work with a variety of automation systems, in theory.  The Smartthings arrival sensor only works with the Smartthings hub and it isn’t Z-wave based.

Posted by iluvdimmers on February 17, 2017

Maybe I’m missing something but how is this any different from the arrival sensor that SmartThings has had for over a year? Seems like they’re just playing catch up.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on February 9, 2017

Ahardeman ... fair enough, but I’m guessing most people don’t use geo-fencing. Furthermore, not everyone has a mobile phone (kids, seniors) or takes it everywhere (joggers). I can think of a lot of uses for this. Clearly there are many options. This is just one of them.

Posted by antoniohardeman on February 9, 2017

Julie,

This product sounds interesting but I’m missing the purpose of it especially when you Z-Wave based home automation systems that can do scenes based on geo-fencing (GPS).  I struggle to see how this product is any different from GPS.  My home automation system is all Z-wave based.  I scenes that use geo-fence.  One scene takes my home out of Away mode and places it into At Home mode and turns on certain lights, opens the garage door, sets the thermostat and turns on the A/V system when I enter the geofence only on Mon-Fri.  I have another geo-fence scene that puts my Home in At Home mode and opens the garage door without turning on any lights only during weekends.  When I leave the geo-fence my garage door closes and the thermostat is setback to a temp that I’ve designated.  I use the Amazon Alexa that is in my kitchen to put my home into Away mode.  Before I got Alexa, I would use geo-fencing to place my home into Away mode.  But I’ve found that when I have guests visiting, using a geo-fence to activate the Away mode was problematic due to the All Lights Off & the Motion Activated Lights scenes activating as a function of the Away mode being activated.

So with Alexa and geo-fencing based scenes that can be created in a number of different Z-wave based home automation systems, how is this device a game changer?

Posted by antoniohardeman on February 9, 2017