Print  |  Email  |  Share  |  News  |  Follow on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or RSS

Blu-ray Outsells HD DVD Nearly 2-1 Through September, Research Shows

From January 1 to September 30, 2.6 million Blu-ray discs were sold, compared to 1.4 million HD DVD titles.

Blu-ray discs have outsold HD DVD titles by nearly 2-to-1 through September of this year, according to new statistics from Home Media Research (via Reuters).

Home Media Research also estimates that, since the formats launched in the spring of 2006, Blu-ray discs have outsold HD DVD titles by an estimated 3.01 million to 1.97 million.

But despite the statistics pointing in Blu-ray's favor, some analysts are saying that it's not over for HD DVD.

Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research, also said the 18-month period of exclusivity for HD-DVDs by Paramount and DreamWorks should strengthen HD-DVD's hand this quarter.

"This definitely smooths out the edge that Blu-ray had in exclusive titles and it very much strengthens HD-DVD's hand in the fourth quarter," he said, but still expects Blu-ray will lead for the year overall.

The exclusive deal with Paramount and DreamWorks has helped the HD DVD camp sell more than 190,000 copies of newly-released Transformers in its first week, putting it "on track" to become the best-selling HD DVD title of all time.

Reports have recently surfaced that Microsoft and Toshiba are working together to put an HD DVD drive into the Xbox 360, potentially putting it on the same level as Sony's PlayStation 3.

Sony recently dropped the price of the PlayStation 3, making the most affordable Blu-ray player even cheaper at $399.

News · Product News · Blu-ray · Blu-ray · All topics

Posted by Ed Tsvik  on  10/24  at  08:55 AM

2 to 1 odds that some knucklehead with an anonymouse screenname will bash Sony and, what they call, the Sony hi-def format.

The fact that Transformers sold more HD copies than any other title isn’t saying much.  Spiderman 3 comes out next week non Blu-ray.  Something tells me Sony will set a whole lot of the PS3 this Christmas season.

Please note that I am no a fan of Sony.  Just saying that I want one of the formats to go away.  I don’t care which one has better features or is easier for the DVD manfucturers to transition to from regular DVD.  I simply want to be able to sell a high def player to customers with confidance that that technology will stay around for a few years.  Blu-ray has more titles and more support which is why it should win.  Doesn’t matter who is on their side, just matters how much content they are putting out.

Posted by Lee Distad  on  10/24  at  09:54 AM

I agree with Ed, in that I want one format to emerge a clear winner, and a don’t care which one.

It’s hard for me, as a long time Sony mocker to admit that the vibe I get is that Blu-ray will eventually come out on top.

That said, I’ve got a bad case of Format War fatique.  I wish it was over already.

Posted by Glenn Smollinger  on  10/24  at  10:02 AM

I like the war. Does anybody think Sony would drop the price of the PS3 if they weren’t fighting a war? Without Toshiba and Sony competing for dominance here, we would see $1000 players and $60 disks until the format faded like SACD and DVD-A. I predict the outcome will stalemate and then dual-format players will emerge, just as with DVD+ and DVD-. Meanwhile, the competition will keep both sides honest.

Posted by Lee Distad  on  10/24  at  10:25 AM

I see your point Glenn, but don’t really buy it completely.  DVD was a unified format, but still saw intense price competition as brands vied to sell more players than their peers.  SACD and DVD-A petered out because the driving force in music playback was mass storage of low-res mp3’s.  HQ audio was doomed to be a niche for audiophiles as opposed to mass market success.

Competing HD disc formats have just aliented and annoyed consumers.  If the industry could have “played well with others” and brought one format to market, I think we would have seen much better adoption rates than we have.

Competition and agressive pricing is great for consumers, but I think we would have seen that even with one HD format.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  10/24  at  10:49 AM

I’ll be clear: I want Blu-ray to win and I am spending like mad on new titles and urging others to do so, to help the format along.

If sales continue to outshine HD-DVD, Paramount and Dreamworks will be forced to rethink their decision out of sheer economic circumstances.

I don’t care about the winner from a video perspective because I think the differnces in that area are negligible.  However, I do care about it from a computer perspective. We are not just deciding on a video format - we are choosing the new standard for optical storage on computers for the next several years, possibly a decade. I do not want 20GB less storage on my computer 5 years from now simply because a competing video format was cheaper in the consumer space. Yeah, yeah I know they’ve revved the HD-DVD spec, etc. but it’s too little too late. They could rev Blu-ray too for all we know.

We have two choices, one has more storage than the other. More storage - more space to archive data, more room for home video, more room for extras, more room for uncompressed PCM audio, exactly as it was mixed at the studios…I want Blu-ray and I’m delighted to see these sales results.

Posted by Red 5  on  10/24  at  12:13 PM

For every action. . .

I’ll be clear: I want HD-DVD to win and I am spending like mad on new titles and urging others to do so, to help the format along.

I don’t care about the winner from a computer perspective. There is absolutely no reason both standards can’t co-exist - HD-DVD for consumer video, blu-ray for pc storage/backup.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  10/24  at  01:47 PM

We don’t need two formats when one will do.

I don’t believe they can co-exist because the masses won’t buy either of them until one becomes the standard.

Think about the big picture, not just how cheaply you can get HD video. i believe people who don’t use computers, or pay attention to what’s going on in the computer world will not decide the outcome of this. For most Americans it’s about getting something as cheaply as possible, but that invites compromise. If the sales numbers are any indication, the public is paying attention to the big picture this time.

Posted by Marc  on  10/24  at  05:17 PM

Blu Ray players and media are problematic and limited. The blu ray players are obsolete upon release. Most dont have an ethernet port, there are NO interactive blu ray features, the media is very difficult to write for, the players are silly expensive. Blu ray only titles release on HD-DVD in Europe, and non-knowing US customers get screwed. There are only two 50 GB Blu Ray disc plants with very low yield rates. Blu Ray as a format makes no sense and is being propped up by monetary losses. Most blu ray discs are 25 GB, smaller than HD-DVD discs.

The writing is clear to me but will take a couple of years of financial and market share loss until Sony throughs in the towel.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  10/24  at  10:22 PM

Hogwash.
My PS3 is not problematic, nor is it limited or obsolete. It DOES have an Ethernet port and I don’t think Americans are getitng screwed except that some are buying the BS that blu-ray players make no sense.

I’m not a movie studio so I can’t confirm or deny your claims about yield rates, or the number of plants, nor do I think I or other Americans should give a hoot about yield rates let alone bother to find out what they are.  Yield rates have exactly zero impact on whether a consumer enjoys the Spider-man Collection in 1080p.

If you think Sony is going to “throw in the towel” as the dominant force in game consoles and simply dump a format that’s at the heart of the PS3 you’re smoking crack. Not gonna happen.

I just hope the higher price points on Blu-ray players equates to higher income consumers who can continue to outspend HD-DVD consumers.

I don’t live in Europe so I don’t worry about what they get in HD vs. what we get. I’d go insane trying to keep track of which country gets something on video that we don’t get here. It’s a colossal sink-hole of time to bother with that junk. Again, I’m not a movie studio so I don’t make marketing decisions on which titles are marketing to which countries around the world.

Posted by redford  on  10/25  at  06:46 AM

i live in europe. we always get sc…..d
less or no extras on r2 dvd, higher equipment prices.
i have a 42 inch hd ready tv, which has a wonderful fujitsu 1080p processor wich makes dvd- sd superb.
with hvd being developed in japan with the participation of the usual suspects, why should anybody invest in either of the 2 current interim formats? they are just a way for the studios to sell old content - again.let em both die, processors/scalers are likely to improve in the meantime.

Posted by Douglas  on  10/25  at  09:45 AM

I honestly don’t see either side giving up.  Expect dual format players to be the norm.

Posted by Bigbrain28  on  10/25  at  04:00 PM

As the owner of a potentially problematic (though as of yet flawless and superior) 60” SXRD I can say I was at once a proud supporter of Sony. I do however recognize what we all have been reminded of, which is Sony’s previous attempts (Laser Disc, MiniDisc, Betamax) to offer a “superior” format albeit via exclusivity and/or forcible content exclusivity.

I think the precedent has shown that regardless of my 100+ LD’s the LaserDisc was replaced by the better, smaller, more affordable and accessible DVD. And to add insult to Sony’s injuries, in the case of the Beta vs. VHS war, beta was hands-down better in most all regards (in terms of PQ, ect). Other things like Mini-disc, and the Memory Stick are more, unfortunate examples of Sony’s proprietary thinking that have been detrimental to the concept.

This business model doesn’t always fail, look at Apple. Macs and iPods (sans hacking) couldn’t be any more proprietary, and yet through clever marketing and slick design have carved a niche that neither competes directly with, nor shies away from mainstream. Regardless of the (potentially true) fact that the PS2 was heavily responsible for the adoption of DVD (players, as incorporated into the device) you cannot make a solid argument for the widespread acceptance of a new format based on Sony’s history.

I personally do not see this format (Blu Ray) as being presented in any less of a Nazi manner. The fact that Sony & the BDA, when given the oppurtunity, decided to NOT work with the HD DVD camp and develop a unified product signifies to me that they are not doing this for the consumer, but rather taking yet another chance on “maybe” winning another war.

I also agree with those who stated that this “war” is good for consumers, inasmuch as the price war will benefit us - As long as quality does not begin to suffer as the demand for more “ammo” in the war begins to elevate. I love that my cable co. just added 5 more HD channels, but I hate that they compressed the hell out of all the HD channels to make bandwidth.

I find myself, an avid Xbox360 user and HD DVD viewer actually hunting for a great deal on a PS3 at this point for the sole reason of BD playback. All the “experts” forsee a minimum 18mo war, and I for one like to see everything in HD, and its true that the PS3 is still the best deal for a BD player. Why? Even if the BD loses, it will still play games for years.

Do I want to give in and become neutral? No. Am I making an impact by suffering (oh, the agony!) by missing out on some great titles? No. Am I a sucker if I spend $500 on a game system (with, currently NO games [of interest to me]) just to watch the other 1/2 of the movies I like? Yes. I am that sucker.

I have read all the papers, and heard all the arguments for and against both formats. I simply cannot support BD winning on possible technical merits. HD DVD is ready, its available and its consumer price friendly. If what we all (should) really want is an end to the format war, and reasonably priced hardware and software, I simply must conclude that HD DVD has done their due diligence.

Posted by Ron  on  10/26  at  09:27 AM

HD DVD will continue to gain support as long as the Blu-Ray players remain ridiculously expensive.  Currently a Toshiba HD-A2 can be purchased at Wal Mart for $198 and with a rebate for 5 free HD DVD movies it’s not a bad deal for many who can’t afford to shell out big bucks just to watch movies in HD.  The movie choices aren’t that great IMO, and Blu-Ray has similar offerings for free movies if you’re willing to pony up for the expense of a Blu-Ray player.
    I have remained on the sideline in regard to purchasing either waiting to see how it all unfolds. One thing I hate is how some studios have taken a big payment to be exclusively HD DVD.  It’s really annoying that you have to have both types of players to be able to watch the movies you like in HD.  The manufacturers of HD DVD players, notably Toshiba, have been aggressively going after the market with prices consumers are more willing to pay.  Blu-Ray’s lead in the market has been mainly because of sales of the PS3.
    I personally favor Blu-Ray for it’s optical storage capabilites as well as having more information on a disk including lossless soundtracks.  With the current price of Blu-Ray discs I think it will be years before it will be a cost effective storage solution.
    In spite of preferring Blu-Ray I expect to not be able to pass up a good deal on a HD-DVD player this holiday season.  Guess I’ll be waiting on Blu-Ray until later, and it’s not my fault.  Meanwhile I’ll probably be picking up a few HD DVD discs.  So who’s winning the format war?  Hard to say, but I’m betting a LOT of HD DVD players will be sold this holiday season.  BLu-Ray may be the better technology, but they need to take notes from HD DVD in regard to marketing.

Posted by Soundzilla  on  10/26  at  11:28 AM

Sony did not invent LaserDIsc – Pioneer did, and kept it alive as a viable consumer video updgrade alternative to VHS for over a decade. I wouldn’t consider LaserDisc a failure, as the movie industry and CE manufacturers made a small but steady stream of profit from it.

Posted by Bigbrain28  on  10/26  at  12:35 PM

Soundzilla,

It appears after some research that I misspoke when I accused Sony of Laserdisc, however my research also indicates it was not Pioneer either. Although initial creation credit goes way back to the late 50’s it seems MCA & Phillips (in a joint effort, ain’t that nice) actually developed the product.

No doubt Pioneer was a very big part of the modicum of videophile grade success LD enjoyed, but we can’t really give them credit for creating it.

And, as I stated, as a LD owner (still) I wouldn’t say the concept of LD was a failure, but as a format, 10yrs or not, it IS gone now. With a 2% market penetration in the U.S. doesn’t speak to success for me. Very niche, very expensive and very quickly removed from the lexicon upon the arrival of DVD, sadly.

I’m surprised you don’t have more to comment on with regards to my original post. Of course those are my thoughts and opinions, and they are yet malleable and open to change if I am convinced to feel otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 comment pages  1 2 >