All Comments

Latest Comments

Why is it OUR fault? We’re just selling the BS formats the manufacturers trowel out that are half-baked when they hit the market. If they would bother to wait until the products/formats are fully-formed and mature enough that we won’t be the ones who have to deal with PO’d end users who expect this stuff to work after a firmware update, we wouldn’t have to do so much damadge control. Do we get anything for this? If anyone thinks they’ll be paid for the time we take fixing manufacturer’s screw ups, they’re naive. We used to be paid for warranty service, but they killed that off because it cost THEM too much. What about OUR costs that aren’t recovered? HDMI boards don’t grow on trees!

Since we’re on the topic, who needs surround modes to make a system do a bad impersonation of a Large Hall, Small Hall, Jazz Club or any of the others? 5 channel, sure. Party mode, to eliminate the delay when using Zone2 when the problem could have been handled internally? Uh-huh. Get rid of the others- nobody needs them!

Design the surround system to create a TRULY realistic sound field and it may become exciting. Until then, I’d rather to listen to two channels.

Posted by highfigh on Saturday, March 25, 2017
Comment on 'Are Integrators Deceiving Clients with Their Immersive Audio Setups?'.

Product does work well… I have tested it out in my own home.  It’s not for every project, but it does allow us to sell some network products in homes that don’t have budgets for enterprise grade networks.  The 1 thing they are missing for us to get behind the product (besides larger margins) is the ability to remote connect to client systems to help them troubleshoot.  The app is great, but it doesn’t allow for dealers to be connected to multiple installed accounts.  Add that feature and we can sell a network to every client at any budget level.

Posted by jhernandez32 on Friday, March 24, 2017
Comment on 'Interview: eero Pro on Making DIY Networking Work for Dealers'.

What a great addition to CEDIA!  Walt’s passion for audio and his dedication to tech and standards makes CEDIA a stronger organization with regards to the standards community. I applaud Dave Pedigo and Vin Bruno for reaching out to a true industry expert and thought leader.  The best reason yet to renew my membership!

Posted by RightatHomeTech on Friday, March 24, 2017
Comment on 'Walt Zerbe Joins CEDIA as Senior Director of Technology & Standards'.

Builders are the connection to the home owner, build the relationship with them, they will resist, last thing they want is another contractor to deal with. Join up, don’t give up, have something to offer them, they have 1 chance to make money from there customer.

Posted by avidcasey on Thursday, March 23, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Tim, my brother…. Thank you for telling everyone at The Azione to look the other way. Don’t mind the gorilla, the elephant and the giant lions in the room. DIFY Tech (Do It For You Technology by Do It For You Technologist) is here and it’s going to devour the old way of doing business.

Check the forecast. Globally by 2020, 6 Billion cellular phones and at least 50 Billion IOT connected devices! Amazon didn’t give details on exact numbers of the Alexa units sold this holiday, but I think it was around the 9 million units. In one holiday season!  Nest is currently moving 100,000 units per month! I can’t find numbers on other integration darlings for IOT like Sonos, Lutron, Logitech Harmony, Rachio, Roku, DishNetwork but I bet, for most of them, they were huuuuuge.

The clients, realtors, architects, designers and builders that we have been communicating with have been eating up these new affordable, reliable and easy to use solutions. They are tired of being hammered by the “luxury” pricing. It’s tech, here today, new tomorrow and it’s gonna cost you only $30,000 to upgrade. Let’s be fair, that’s all we have had to offer, until now. Luxury is all we sold for many years. I’m not hatin’, I’m just sayin’. Look, less wire to run, no racks, less time overall in a clients home, user interfaces that are professionally designed by the manufacture, very low service issues (go backs), low buy in / big value return, no rocket scientist needed = happy, happy, happy for all.

Let me keep kicking. Crate & Barrel sells nice stuff. It’s not custom, or reinvented every time or one of a kind master piece. But it is designed for the mid market and above clientele. It’s affordable, looks great and works. It doesn’t take weeks or months for C&B to figure out a glitch in their production. They don’t have to cut the leg off of a table to add a few screws. If the bed breaks, the client doesn’t have to sleep on the floor for weeks while the it’s being repaired and stuck with a nice bill once it’s finally back in place.

I can’t walk the bridge of understanding of how builders feel that they are selling a used home with the latest and greatest in new technology solutions.

DIFY Tech is kinda like rap at a wedding. Some might not get it, but most are tapping their foot, shaking some tail and enjoying vibe. It’s here to stay and it ain’t going nowhere.

I want to be like McDonald’s, over a billion served. With 50 billion + DIFY Tech solutions coming online, we have a chance.

Posted by DIFY TECH on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Thanks for sharing, Adroit. Was this a recent installation? I’d love to learn more. [email protected]

Posted by Julie Jacobson on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Eero has shown a good understanding of what dealers/integrators need and want for a product to be suitable.

Their support options are very good and responsive.  I am looking forward to them tailoring the product to include physical mounting options, Power over Ethernet (PoE) capability, and more management of multi-client installations.

Although they prefer to be a single-vendor solution, using Eero in bridge-mode as mesh-enabled WAP’s (wireless access points) in conjunction with a powerful router from existing channel/integrator vendors is a killer combination.  It is much more cost effective than full enterprise Wi-Fi solutions, easier to deploy, less expensive to manage, and has the the appropriate advanced routing/vlan/networking features needed.

Posted by SpivR on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Interview: eero Pro on Making DIY Networking Work for Dealers'.

It is interesting that microphones in the walls was one of the options for a new home. While using microphones may sound like an idea for very expensive homes, I actually installed them in an old house. The microphones were part of a PERS system to keep an elderly woman in her own home. It would have been MUCH easier to install them in a new home. And, no, this was not an expensive home. Along with voice recognition software (that was the expensive part) the microphones acted as a whole house life alert system. As an aging in place option for a production builder, it makes marketing sense. Persons in their 50’s and 60’s would not find said microphones to be a very desirable option with the plan of living out the rest of their years in their new home.

Posted by Adroit1 on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Chris, he was referring to mainstream production builders. They’re not competing with other builders, they’re competing with existing home sales. So his point was to sell them stuff that will make buyers want a NEW home. Mics in the walls was just an example.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Of course this is what builder want, what they want isn’t my concern. My concern is what home owners want and what they can afford.  Outside the custom luxury market, home 1 million plus, your not going to sell microphones in walls.

The luxury market is awesome, but I’ll take the much larger middle class working families.

Posted by Chris dePaola on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation'.

Don’t forget that a lot of users are used to and are ok with switching between multiple apps because that’s what they do everyday.  Some of these DIFM systems like Smart Things, Wink, Nexia can be designed without the user even opening the app.  Some will use one app to disarm the alarm system, one app to control the a/v system or another app to cast music.  That’s not really a major pain-point for most.

In most situations I’d venture to guess that there will not be many customers that try to disarm the alarm, turn on the a/v system and play music at the same time by.  But I think that we’re forgetting that voice control plays a huge role in this.  With voice control the home control app starts to fade to the background.  No longer is there a need to open the control app or walk over to a tablet that is on the wall.  Just ask Alexa or Google Home to complete the task.  So when you talk about showing them a one-app approach keep mind that the one-app approach may not resonate as much as you think.

Posted by ahardeman on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Integrators at Azione: Embrace DIY Home Automation or Just Say No?'.

I agree and I disagree.  I was a cable contractor once upon a time.  I thought I knew all about home theater as well, to the point where a cable company in NH contracted me from my company to teach their techs how to integrate HD boxes into their client’s home theater systems.  This was 2004, so that didn’t mean too much. Eventually they were trained, and the last thing I wanted to do was go back to climbing telephone poles and dealing with people who hate the cable company. I applied at Tweeter and found a great position as a tech.  A year later I was a supervisor.  A few years later I started my own company with some colleagues.  The point is, I don’t think we should necessarily be “reaching out” to trunk slammers and cable guys if they don’t do good work.  It’s seeing the work of those who look like they are trying that is more appealing.  I follow a cable technicians facebook page, and even the conversations there revolve around “the good guys and the bad”.  If a trunk slammer is running around happy to trunk-slam, why on earth would I teach him how to undercut me in higher quality with knowledge that I obtained through hard work?

Posted by jmcdermott1678 on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'CEDIA Chairman Shames Us Into Being Better Mentors'.

Give ‘em a break. I mean, it’s not like they’re CE Pro.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Forbes Tech Council Makes 7 Smart-Home Predictions for the Future'.

I have to agree with @jmcdermott1678 here.  Where have some of these people been.

2.  Number 2 is already here.  I am using Amazon Alexa to do macro actions across a number of subsystems within my home.  I have one scene that activates when I tell Alexa to turn on Good Night.  When that happens the a/v system turns off, the living room lights are turned off, the garage door is closed, the back door is locked, the master bedroom and bath lights are turned on, and the home control system goes into Night mode 5 minutes later, which activates all of the motion sensors.  I have several other Alexa enabled macros including a Vacation scene.

4.  Some appliances already do this.  My Trane thermostat is connected to my home control system.  My system will send me a text, notification on my phone or tablet or an email when there is something wrong with the HVAC.

6. I love number 6.  GPS scenes make my life much easier.  I use them everyday and I think that consumers will find this as useful as they’re finding voice control.  Every time I enter the geofence I’ve established near my home, my a/v system and lights turn on and the garage door opens.  Depending on the day of the week the temperature for the thermostat will be set to where we like it.  When I leave the geofence the garage door will close.  I haven’t incorporated my window blinds but I need to.

The future is now.

Posted by ahardeman on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Comment on 'Forbes Tech Council Makes 7 Smart-Home Predictions for the Future'.

Great addition! Finally, Walt’s collection of cables and connectors will be available to all at the CEDIA show wink

Posted by Hagai Feiner / Access Networks on Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Strange Alt History of Home Automation According to Coldwell Banker
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Leviton Decora Lighting Control Compatible with Apple HomeKit
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2017
Female Technician Defies Consumer Electronics Stereotypes
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Why Was True Home Theater ‘Missing’ at CES?
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Advice from Expert: Builders Don’t Want DIY Home Automation
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Sonos Playbase Could Change Everything. Or Not.
Posted on Wednesday, March 8, 2017
HDBaseT Snafu? Don’t Update Samsung TVs!
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Networking Guru Changes His Tune: Loves Router Limits for Parental Controls
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Integrators at Azione: Embrace DIY Home Automation or Just Say No?
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Alarm.com and Comcast Close Icontrol Acquisition: What Now?
Posted on Thursday, March 9, 2017
Blame Colin Kaepernick for Your Drop in Home Theater Installations
Posted on Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Sonos PLAYBASE Soundbar Delivers Discreet TV Base with Big Sound
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Integrator Uncovers Reliability Issues Installing Amazon Echo
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2017
CEDIA Sells Ownership of CEDIA Trade Show
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2017
Savant Home Automation Dealers Seem Newly Energized at Integrator Summit
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Forbes Tech Council Makes 7 Smart-Home Predictions for the Future
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
What’s Next for HEOS and Play-Fi under Sound United?
Posted on Wednesday, March 1, 2017