That big new TV might look great above the fireplace, but you’d have to strain your poor neck to watch it. MantelMount comes to the rescue with its first motorized mount that drops down and pulls away from the wall with the press of a button.
Debuting at CEDIA 2017, the new MM850 ($1,699 retail) works much like MantelMount’s other models, but this one has a motor that moves up/down, in/out, and left/right with the press of a button, voice command or trigger from a home-automation system.
The mount's communication module integrates with third-party controllers via IP over a hardwired Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection. MantelMount says the product will work with “most major home automation systems right out of the box,” including Crestron, Control4, RTI and Amazon Alexa. Additionally, “a full command set is available to all programmers for hard coding of any of the non-standard control systems.”
Or users can simply use the included RF remote from MantelMount.
“Some integrators, accustomed to working with high-end home automation projects, felt their clients wouldn’t want to pull the TV down themselves when everything else in the house was already automated,” says MantelMount CEO KC Bean. (So true.)
Users can save up to six favorite TV positions. In addition, the system can be configured to move automatically to a preset location when it senses the TV powering on … and then return to its upright and locked position when the TV turns off.
Dual electronic actuators move the mount horizontally and vertically, and a multi-axis hub “allows the dual actuators to perform the complex drop and swivel motion smoothly and quietly,” according to the company.
In addition to its motorization and automation features, the MM850 is bigger and sturdier than MantelMount’s legacy manual models, accommodating TVs up to 100 inches and 130 pounds.
The motorized version is potentially safer than the manual models, too, with a separate sensor that tells the mount to retract when temperatures around the fireplace get too hot. (The manual mounts feature heat-sensitive handles that change color when heated, turning bright red at 110 degrees.)
Also New at CEDIA: MM750 Upgraded Manual Mount
In addition to the MM850, MantelMount is introducing at CEDIA the new MM750 Pro, which shares most of the same characteristics as the new motorized mount … except it has no motor.
Improving upon the company’s existing MM700, the new MM750 becomes MantelMount's top-of-the-line manual mount with pull-down and swivel capabilities — while keeping the same $699 retail price.
Both the MM750 and MM850 feature higher-grade steel than previous versions, which explains how they can support TVs as heavy as 130 pounds. In addition, both new models provide vertical travel distance up to 32 inches, plus horizontal swivel up to 30 degrees in either direction.
The off-the-wall distance of 19-22 inches ensures that both units will clear practically any mantel size.
Each product comes with a flush-mount recess box that fits between studs (image). The center arm of the mount folds neatly into the box when the TV is in the raised position, leaving a mere 1.6-inch gap between the TV and the wall.
Additional features and accessories include a built-in soundbar adapter, cable wire management, and hard travel-limit stops (the MM850 also has “soft” programmable stops).
Next Page: MantelMount MM850 Features and Specs
MantelMount MM850 – Motorized TV Mount for Over-the-Fireplace Installations
Features and Specifications
Now, without lifting a finger or leaving your couch, you can bring your TV off the wall 22”, drop it another 32” to eye-level, and then swivel it 30 degrees in each direction using our Home Integration Module or RF Remote Control!
The MM850’s exclusive construction uses dual electronic actuators and a unique multi-axis hub that lowers and swivels the TV in one smooth motion to a preset memory position. What's more, our exclusive 'Power-Sense' technology can sense the moment the TV is turned on and operate the mount without any input from the user, automatically moving the TV to a perfectly optimized position.
Our Auto-Temperature Sensing Technology will even determine when heat from a fireplace is too hot for your electronics and retract the TV to the raised home position, a necessity for unattended, thermostat-controlled fireplaces.
The MM850 is compatible with most major home automation systems right out of the box: Crestron, Control4, RTI, Alexa…meet MantelMount. Drivers are included to allow for simple setup, and a full command set is available to all programmers for hard coding of any of the non-standard control systems. Software updates can be downloaded through included wired Ethernet as well!
- All hardware needed is in the box.
- Home Automation Module – Control your TV viewing positions through the most popular home automation systems like Crestron, Control4, RTI, Alexa and more. Includes wired Ethernet, dry contacts and drivers for the home automation system so that setup is a breeze. Wi-Fi also available.
- 433 MHz RF Remote – Sets the vertical and horizontal TV position from anywhere in the room.
- Dual Electronic Actuators – The real muscle behind adjusting the vertical and horizontal position of any TV up to 100″ and 130 lbs.
- Control Module – Sends precise movement commands to the dual actuators based on input received from the RF remote control and home integration module. Includes expansion port to allow for future communication modules.
- Multi-Axis Hub – 5 axis hub connects all important components and allows the dual actuators to perform the complex drop and swivel motion safely, smoothly and quietly.
- Power Sense Technology – Monitors the televisions power draw. When power is “on” the mount will automatically lower to preset memory position #1. When power is “off”, the mount will return to a retracted home position. Eliminates need for RF remote when TV is in use. Home automation systems can use this power sensing to fine tune a rooms lighting, sound and more to optimize every TV viewing experience.
- Favorite Position Memory – 2 memory presets stored in non-volatile flash memory space saves your preferred vertical and horizontal TV positions. Use the RF Remote to adjust TV angle from a memory preset position. For home automation users, save up to 6 favorite TV positions (est.) through your home automation system.
- Soft Travel Limit Stops – Software programmable vertical and horizontal travel limits set in the module that compensates for larger televisions and prevents TV from hitting mantel or walls.
- Hard Travel Limit Stops – Manually set vertical and horizontal travel stops to assure your TV doesn’t hit your mantel or wall.
- Heat-Sensing Thermocouple – Protective thermal sensor mounted near the television that measures heat from a fireplace.
- Auto Temperature Sensing Technology – Automatically retracts TV to the fully-raised home position when the Thermocouple detects a temperature too high for your electronics safety (est. 110 ° -130 °), a necessity for unattended, thermostat-controlled fireplaces.
- TCP-IP Communication – Wired ethernet included. Allows for downloading of updates for the integration and control modules.
- Recess Box – For 1.6” flush-to-wall TV storage.
- Vertical Travel Distance Up to 32”- Stop the TV anywhere along path of travel
- Horizontal Swivel 60 degrees, 30 degrees in either direction.
- Off-The-Wall Distance of 19”-22” – Clears practically any mantel.
- Built-In Sound Bar Adapter – Attach your sound bar directly to the MM850 brace.
- Cable Wire Management – Cable Ties keep mounting environment organized
- Heavy-Duty 2, 3, 4 & 5mm steel.
- Black Powder Coated Matte Finish
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!