Substantial design changes and extensive engineering research has led to a completely revised Silver Series of loudspeakers from Monitor Audio which now caters for all two-channel hi-fi and surround applications.
Launched [18th May] at the Munich High End event, the nine model range has been created with contemporary living very much in mind. Two compact stand-mount options and a choice of three slimline floorstanders take up the minimum of space yet produce a big sound, while the Silver FX wall-mount and two centre channel speakers are perfect for discreet AV installations.
The Silver Series is completed with a powered subwoofer, featuring on board DSP for resounding bass down to a staggering 22 Hz. Magnetic grille fixings on all models ensure an elegant baffle aided by rear mounting of the proprietary HiVe II ports.
“We’ve created a new visual character in the Silver Series”, explains Monitor Audio’s Technical Director, Dean Hartley, who is rightly proud of his team’s latest models. “Adopting a ‘less is more’ approach, we have evaluated every component and redesigned from the ground up.” Part of the work involved use of precision laser scanning equipment (accurate to thousandths of a millimetre) at the world-renowned National Physical Laboratory to ensure optimum cabinet bracing in the quest for the most natural sound.
Acknowledged master of metal cone speaker technology, Monitor Audio has used its four decade expertise in the field to create new versions of its highly regarded C-CAM dished cone specifically for this Silver Series. Made from a single piece of the unique ceramic coated aluminium/magnesium alloy, formed into a continuous dish profile, its rigidity brings enormous sonic benefits over conventional softer cone materials that flex, producing audible distortion. Without the need for a centre hole, commonly used to house a protruding voice coil, the company’s exclusive C-CAM drive units are able to deliver pure, undistorted sound across the music range.
“The result,” adds Dean, “is significantly reduced distortion and a cleaner, more faithful reproduction of the music, whatever your choice of listening.”
Technical enhancements to the speaker’s ‘engine’ also include beefed up driver magnets and improved voice coils, resulting in a cleaner sound even when listening at high levels. Monitor Audio now claims the purest mid-range quality in its class along with precise and consistent imaging, both on and off-axis, thanks to a newly created teardrop shaped mid-range/tweeter module on the Silver 300 and Silver 500 floorstanders. High-quality components in the all critical crossover networks help to deliver the perfect sound, so premium grade polypropylene film capacitors, air core and laminated steel core inductors have been deployed.
- Increased range flexibility – super-slim, compact stand-mount and floorstanding loudspeakers
- Two new centre-channel speakers in the range – small and large, for no-compromise performance in multi-channel systems
- Smaller stereo models (Silver 50, Silver 200) designed to be used closer to walls, giving more flexible room placement
- Smooth, detailed sound with no harshness and class-leading low distortion levels
- Completely new C-CAM drivers and a new 25mm Gold Dome C-CAM tweeter developed specifically for the new Silver Series
- High impedances mean easy to drive designs, giving wide amplifier choice
- Scientific approach to cabinet bracing involved state of the art research at the National Physical Laboratory
- Stunning new Satin White finish introduced, perfect for contemporary settings worldwide, along with premium quality real wood veneers and high gloss options across the range
- Super-slim grille design with magnetic fixings for clean looking baffles
- Stable yet stylish outrigger feet on floorstanders for maximum rigidity
- Black Oak – Premium quality wood veneer
- Walnut – Premium quality wood veneer
- Rosenut – Premium quality wood veneer
- High Gloss Black – Hand worked to a mirror finish with over 10 coats of lacquer
- Satin White – New finish for a beautifully contemporary appearance