Monitor Audio, the British loudspeaker specialist, has introduced the IV140, a breakthrough speaker designed to deliver ‘best in class’ audio performance in concealed in-wall and in-ceiling applications.
“Installers, architects, designers and clients are increasingly attracted to the benefits of an invisible audio soundstage” says Monitor Audio’s Technical Director, Dean Hartley. “A completely concealed solution appeals to designers and clients who want to listen to music but also want to preserve the interior aesthetic. For installers, invisible speakers can be a real problem-solver on many projects but they must be fitted by a professional.
“Meanwhile, everyone is looking for high quality invisible speakers that deliver the best possible audio performance they can buy. Using all our forty years’ experience, we’ve built the IV140 to bring both ultimate discretion and audiophile performance to the category. Installers can now fit an invisible speaker that integrates all Monitor Audio’s traditional performance benefits and take advantage of a significant, and growing, market opportunity for invisible speakers.”
Monitor Audio’s IV140 features a large low-frequency exciter for punchy, high power bass along with two high frequency exciters which are bonded to a flat, soft polymer membrane surface to produce sound vibration. This two-way exciter design also features an integrated crossover in the same way as a conventional high-performance speaker to generate a wider frequency range. The result is crystal clear sound quality with smoother overall frequency undulation, balance and character.
The audio experience is further enhanced by Monitor Audio’s unique hybrid back box design for the IV140 which isolates sound and ensures consistent, controlled performance, regardless of placement. This rigid back box reduces sound emitted from the rear of the speaker, minimising leakage into adjoining rooms.
The design effectively limits low frequency below 75Hz which can be a major asset, especially when the IV140 is deployed in home cinemas with an additional subwoofer. For projects where more low frequency extension is required, the rear cover can be removed to create an open back speaker.
At just 95mm deep, (83.5mm fitting depth), the IV140 will fit into all conventional 4” stud bays within walls, leaving enough room for cabling, or within ceilings. Once skimmed with plaster, the speaker can be finished with paint, light wallpaper or fabric.
Monitor Audio’s IV140 is protected against overload by automatic re-setting circuit breakers (PTC). These will attenuate output for a specific time period to allow the
system to cool until normal operation can safely resume.
- 2-way system with integrated crossover
- Pre-construction speaker designed to be plastered in to create ‘invisible’ appearance
- Low-frequency exciter, featuring high power ceramic magnetics and 40mm voice coil
- Dual High-frequency exciters, incorporating high power Neo magnets and 30mm voice coils
- Rigid MDF back box construction
- Integrated ‘hybrid’ controlled performance back box system – Fully sealed or open-back
- High Quality crossover – including metallised film capacitors and low loss steel core inductors
- Protected against overload by PTC’s (automatically re-setting breakers)
- Ideal for home cinema, distributed audio, hospitality, retail and commercial background music applications where aesthetics and discretion are key factor