It was just six years ago that Comcast launched Xfinity Home, the security and home-automation service powered by IoT platform provider Icontrol (through its acquisition of uControl). Today, Comcast is easily the most successful smart-home provider among cable companies, ISPs and telcos, trailing only the security giants like ADT and Vivint.
And now, Comcast owns the Icontrol IoT platform that got 'em there.
Dan Herscovici, general manager of Xfinity Home, has guided the group through its launch and maturation.
During ISC West 2017 this week, he will discuss the might challenges and eventual successes of Xfinity Home, as well as hints to the future of the business, in a two-hour forum on Thursday, April 6, 10am – noon.
The session is free to ISC attendees, and no registration is required.
During the two hours, I will be moderating a fireside chat with Herscovici, as well as a panel discussion with two other leaders in the security and home-automation field: Duane Paulson from Nortek Security & Control and Jim McMullen of COPS Monitoring.
Among the topics of discussion:
- Why did Comcast buy Icontrol and how will Comcast serve other MSOs with the SHaaS (smart home as a service) platform?
- What can an Internet and TV giant bring to the security and smart-home party?
- Why have so many mass-market initiatives failed in the past, and what are some keys to success?
- What is the state of professional installation and security monitoring? What is the current threat level of the DIY market?
- How are central monitoring stations dealing with the DIY market, as well as all of the IoT attachments to security systems these days?
- What is the low-hanging fruit in terms of attachments?
- What’s inhibiting security dealers from adding IoT devices to alarm panels? What would entice them to attach more?
- Are dealer programs willing to pay more for accounts with IoT devices? Or are those accounts liabilities?
- What are the trends in video verification, for both DIY and pro solutions?
- Are cybersecurity fears affecting adoption? Is the smart-home industry working to mitigate these fears?
Attendees will be invited to ask questions during the forum, and there will be long breaks for networking with the presenters and other smart-home specialists in attendance.
30 Years in the Making: Home Security Made Smarter
ISC West 2017
Thursday, April 6, 2017
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Location: Sands 101 & 102
Free; no registration required
- Julie Jacobson (moderator), founding editor, CE Pro
- Daniel Herscovici, General Manager & Senior Vice President, Comcast Xfinity Home
- Duane Paulson, Group VP, Strategic Development, Nortek Security & Control
- Jim McMullen, , President & COO, COPS Monitoring