TV Remote Lost in Couch May Have Caused House Fire

Can a remote control run hot enough to spark a fire?

 •

A family in Alburnett, Iowa, lost a pet dog in a house fire, possibly caused by a remote control buried in the couch, KWWL-TV reports.

We have all heard reports about computers and cell phones running hot enough to spark a fire, particularly on beds and couches. But handheld remotes?

Have any integrators run into this? Regardless, it is probably not a bad idea to warn clients about placing remote controls or any electronics on potentially flammable materials for an extended period of time. 

I, for one, won't be leaving my computer on the couch again.

Hopefully we will learn more about the incident after the investigation.