Origin Acoustics, maker of higher-end architectural and outdoor speakers, is rolling out a more affordable line of outdoor audio under the new AcoustaScape brand.
Debuting in February at ISE 2016 in Amsterdam, AcoustaScape is “an efficient entry-level system designed to give medium-sized outdoor environments wide dispersion sound coverage,” says Origin CEO Jeremy Burkhardt.
Burkhardt tells CE Pro that AcoustaScape’s “building-block approach” to outside music is “unique to Origin.” AcoustaScape is anchored by the 8-Ohm AS41 Hi-Fi Landscape Audio System, comprising four 4-inch enclosed satellite speakers and an 8-inch in-ground subwoofer that all blend into the landscape. The entire system supports up to eight speakers (AS4SAT extension speakers are sold in pairs) for coverage of up to 2,500 square feet.
“I think many people will start with four and want other ‘outdoor zones’ for more music,” he says. “It’s like a house.”
AcoustaScape’s two-way satellite speakers deliver a wide dispersion and require no separate amplifier. They can be powered from the Zone 2 output of any source component.
The 8 Ohms-per-channel impedance matched Hi-Fi outdoor system is equipped with 50 to 200 watts of power handling.
Burkhardt says Origin developed a new polyastic high-dispersion dome tweeter that “sets us apart from other garden speakers that don’t use a separate tweeter.”
Origin already has a line of landscape speakers in its Seasons collection, a premium line with “studio quality,” designed with multiple DSP settings to deliver a flat frequency response in a variety of environments.
“Seasons systems retail from $5,000 to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Burkhardt says.
On the other hand, MSRP for the AcoustaScape System (A41SYS), including four satellites and one subwoofer, is $1700. Each additional pair of satellites is $400, so an 8.1 system would retail for $2,500.
Even the frollicky packaging makes AcoustaScape seem approachable to the casual user.
“The concept behind the packaging was to give us flexibility in many different channels and not pigeon-hole ourselves to one customer type or sales channel,” says executive VP Nick Berry. “We see far too many companies in our industry that look at package design as an afterthought or a way to save costs. We look at it as our most valuable resource to effectively tell a story and grab a customers attention at the point of purchase, wherever that may be.”
AcoustaScape AS41 Specs
- A4SAT (Quantity 4): 4” (200mm) Injection molded polypropylene cone satellites with rubber surround and .5” PEI dome tweeter
- A4SAT Dimensions: 126mm x 180mm
- A8SUB (Quantity 1): 8” (400mm) Dual Voice Coil, Injection molded Polypropylene subwoofer with rubber surround and weatherproof aluminum mushroom head
- A8SUB Dimensions: 250mm x 524mm
- System Impedance: 8 ohms per channel nominal
- Frequency Response: 39Hz-20,000kHz +/- 3dB
- Crossover Frequency: 100Hz
- Power Handling: 50watts – 200watts
- Sensitivity: 87dB
- Satellite Dispersion: 60° dispersion with an optimum listening area 8’-20’ (2.4-6.1 meters) from the listening area
- Placement Recommendations: Satellites- 6’-8’ (1.8-2.4 meters) apart along perimeter of listening area Woofer- The center of the 8 satellites
- Enclosure Material: Satellites- Non-corrosive sealed enclosures Woofer- (HDPE) non-corrosive sealed enclosure
- Included Accessories: Eight 7” (177mm) ground stakes, 24 silicone filled wire nuts
- Listening Area: Up to 2,500 square feet (232 square meters)*
- Wire Recommendations: 18 gauge – up to 100 feet (30 meters) 4 conductor, stranded, direct burial
- 16 gauge – up to 150 feet (45 meters) 4 conductor, stranded, direct burial
- 14 gauge – up to 250 feet (80 meters) 4 conductor, stranded, direct burial
- 12 gauge – up to 400 feet (122 meters) 4 conductor, stranded, direct burial
- 10 gauge – up to 650 feet (198 meters) 4 conductor, stranded, direct burial
*Up to 2,500 square feet with the additional use of two AS4SAT Expansion Packs
**Direct burial speaker wire required (Sold Separately)
If you enjoyed this article and want to receive more valuable industry content like this, click here to sign up for our digital newsletters!