All Comments

Latest Comments

Well, hopefully this gets our industry’s attention. Maybe OvrC and Ihiji will check it out for remote monitoring.

Posted by Julie Jacobson on Wednesday, March 20, 2019
Comment on 'Bosch, Thermador Open Smart-Appliance APIs for Home Automation Integration'.

Great column Julie - we are installing the Bosch and Thermador products in the kitchen of our new showroom for exactly these reasons.

Posted by cybermanor on Tuesday, March 19, 2019

OMG! Websites and show rooms outsourced! Game changer!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by mbaty on Sunday, March 17, 2019
Comment on 'Yes, ProSource Buying Group Really is 'Game-Changing' the Home-Tech Industry'.

OK, there’s 2 for “game-changing.” It’s certainly appealing to have a partner that specializes in this stuff, so you can just surrender and say - do my website, do my showroom ...

Posted by Julie Jacobson on Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Julie-  I was at the Las Vegas Flamingo Hilton 31 years ago at CES. I was meeting with a bunch of other “custom installers” to start a group up. Not since then have I been so excited about any trade group or organization. The ProSource group is a just like that “other” original group of Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, intelligent and hard working group of people that had a mission to make our companies better for our clients, workers, vendors and owners. I feel honored to be part of ProSource just like I am proud to be a founding member of CEDIA.

Eric Grundelman
Dallas TX

Posted by Ericvap on Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Julie - I was there.  It WAS game changing.  Kudo’s to Jim Ristow, Dave Workman and their respective teams for ID’ing challenge areas for our industry segment.  Add in ProSource’s lighting and managed services initiatives and call me a happy camper as I drove out of Nashville.

Posted by audio_man01 on Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Agree most likely implemented in Cable Company first; CES demo showed ease of STB setup and voice operation.  Also agree one of our favored HA partners should harness NEVO powerful voice backend.  Original NEVO was really good. Made plea for reviving NEVO to a customer on UEI board around that time.  Could new NEVO provide CE channel more secure and profitable voice assistant platform?  Lead with privacy and cyber security.

Posted by HBlaugh on Friday, March 8, 2019
Comment on 'Universal Electronics to Debut Nevo Butler Smart Home Hub at CES'.

If “A market correction refers to a price decline of at least 10% of any security or market index following a temporary upswing in market prices.”, we already had one- it occurred on Dec 17, 2018. It didn’t last long though, and it wasn’t caused by one industry’s lack of governance, greed/avarice and morals.

As the driver of a white van who gets all of their business through repeat and referrals, I do no advertising, nor would I, unless I decided that I want to screw myself by having more than I need- this means more employees, materials (I don’t stock more than the leftover cable from jobs, but I do have cables that would be needed for small jobs and driving to get them would be wasteful) and I try to never carry inventory. I don’t need to keep equipment past its model year and lose money by selling it at or near cost.

The fact that people are talking about more advertising may mean they haven’t noticed that more people are doing this work, to some extent- that may mean selling Sonos and other streaming devices, Orbi/Google Hub/Amazon type devices that people want, can’t or won’t set up and don’t think they want a full system, so they buy the minimum and have some low priced person or Best Buy set it up, to the best/worst of their (in)ability.

Look around- the field is more populated than ever.

Posted by highfigh on Thursday, March 7, 2019
Comment on '3 Tactics to Fight the Looming Market Correction'.

Wow!  That sounds even worse - very pricy for only a meta-data processor.  I would spin up Plex and let it do all the meta data matching.  Seems like open source/freemium model is much more flexible in this case since you can run Plex on NAS, in Docker containers, or on any scale of hosted computer you choose and put all the ripped CD’s there also.

Now don’t get me wrong, there are many reasons not to use a DIY style ‘server’ solution.  Many of us have been through the HTC fiasco - but it is good to at least know the alternatives.

Robert E. Spivack
Smart Home Technology Specialist

Posted by SpivR on Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Comment on 'Hands On: Roon Labs Nucleus+ is Flexible, Easy to Use Whole-House Audio Server'.

Roon is basically a fancy meta-data agent. It’s great if you enjoy an immersive audio/music-listening experience. So I definitely agree that doesn’t apply to the average person.

Posted by TheDarkKnight on Wednesday, March 6, 2019

I’m sorry, but I’m having a hard time understanding the functionality provided by this product and the value.

If I understand correctly, this is hardened x86 PC with proprietary streaming software, but I still need audio distribution hardware and a music subscription to the Tidal service?

Most audio distribution/amplifier systems such as Sonos, C4, Savant, Crestron, etc. also include streaming servers, so this seems redundant and unnecessary.

Further, at the low to mid range, Apple AirPlay 2 and Google Chromecast, which are becoming “table stakes” for all smart speakers, amplifiers, and audio distribution systems enable this capability themselves.

Not trying to be snarky, but what am I missing here?

Posted by SpivR on Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Captain Obvious here, boiled down, I am “reSpecializing”. Light commercial with as much quality AV in addition to the IT, partnering for large Cellular Augmentation packages with 5G in mind, focusing on a simple fresh Virtual Conferencing System approach utilizing new 180 cams and steering mic arrays, throwing all IoT plastic crap and obsolete legacy stuff out in the alley, avoiding all systems with Cable/Satellite delivery and getting our focus back (forward?). That’s my plan in a nutshell.

Posted by loren roetman on Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Comment on '3 Tactics to Fight the Looming Market Correction'.

@iKnowTech - it sounds like you have a far better service experience than what Best Buy delivers - so why try to compete by charging the same amount?  What if I told you your clients would pay $100/month or more for unlimited, 24/7, high-quality tech support?  And then they would pay hourly for all your in-home support?

Here at OneVision we partner with integrators to manage their service departments and drive profitability through high-quality service.  We are seeing an average membership fee of $100/month across the country for high-quality, instant access to 24/7 remote tech support.  The client then pays per hour for any on-site support.  We’ve processed over $1 million in recurring revenue for our partners.

This industry has immense potential - to capitalize on it we have to see the value of our role, learn to do it sustainably, and then charge appropriately.  It’s exciting to watch this unfold for the integrators who are innovating in service.

Posted by Joseph Kolchinsky on Friday, March 1, 2019
Comment on 'Best Buy Hits 1M Subscribers for $199 Total Tech Support Program'.

That’s an easier pill to swallow if it doesn’t include any onsite services, and I’m sure at the volume that Best Buy is doing they probably have a good balance of heavy users vs people that buy the service when they need it the first time, then sort of forget about it and rarely use it.  I’m sure they also pay bottom dollar for their labor force and outsource a lot of tech support overseas.

Maybe it works for a big company like Best Buy, but really makes no sense for a smaller local businesses.  I wouldn’t want to offer a service like this to an existing customer that averages more than a couple of billable hours of my time in a year.  I definitely can’t see why I would want to advertise a program like this for potential new clients, as it would just attract the type of clients I have no interest in, people looking for bottom dollar cost service.

At the end of the day, how Best Buy operates I’m sure has very little relevance on how a majority of the CE Pro subscribers operate.  Probably most CE Pro subscribers see these these sort of programs from major cooperation’s as threat to to their businesses, and frankly rightly so.

Its one thing to make recurring revenue on selling monitoring, or cloud services, its quite another to sell low cost subscriptions to your skilled labor force.

Posted by iKnowTech on Friday, March 1, 2019
Comment on 'Best Buy Hits 1M Subscribers for $199 Total Tech Support Program'.

@iKnowTech - the TotalTech membership is for “unlimited remote, online, and in-store support”.  They are banking on “breakage”, which means the vast majority of people will not use the service while a few use it heavily.  At $17/month it’s an easy transaction to forget about (and that’s what Best Buy is hoping for).

However, listening to the earnings call the CEO went into detail on how they will be working to create more value so that people who don’t call often still renew the membership.

Best Buy is innovating…and they’re moving ahead as a result.  We as an industry could benefit from pausing just long enough to understand their perspective, learn from their progress, and internalize it productively for our businesses.

Posted by Joseph Kolchinsky on Friday, March 1, 2019
Comment on 'Best Buy Hits 1M Subscribers for $199 Total Tech Support Program'.

Page 1 of 2012 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

Hot Stories with Comments
Goodbye Pyng, Hello Crestron Home OS 3: ‘Dramatic Redesign’ at ISE 2019
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
CES 2019: Wi-Fi Looked Like a Home-Automation ‘Standard’
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2019
Best Buy Hits 1M Subscribers for $199 Total Tech Support Program
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2019
Control4 Acquires NEEO Remote Control
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2019
Savant Shows Home Automation OSD through Apple TV
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2019
15-Zone Wireless Audio System Too Much for DIY
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2019
Explaining OLED vs. QLED to Your Clients
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2019
It’s Time to Get an Electrical License… Now!
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2019