Control & Automation

Universal Electronics to Debut Nevo Butler Smart Home Hub at CES

UEI Nevo Butler voice control device combined with ‘Works with QuickSet’ program aimed at enabling broad third-party interoperability.

Posted by iKnowTech on January 4, 2019

Cant imagine UEI is going to get much positive reception from the Custom Install Channel on this, after they abandoned both previous Nevo line of remotes in the US, and left dealers in a lurch supporting some expensive remotes with no manufacturer backing.  I know there is no way I would even give this a first look.

Posted by loren roetman on January 5, 2019

I personally sold, installed and programmed nearly 100 Q50 and Q70s. I and my clients were by and large totally pleased with the Nevo systems. I estimate that there are still many out there in service plugging along. That said, when UEI left us all swinging in the breeze, I was, to say the least very disappointed. From where I sit, I don’t expect to be consulted as a CEDIA-type dealer, we don’t have the resources to put a white label package like this together. I see this as a play for a much larger piece of the pie. @iKnowTech, I don’t see us as the CI Channel even having the choice or opportunity to give a positive reception. If some large player puts a viable system together that meets our client’s needs and “allows” us to make a fair profit, we would be very short-sighted if we didn’t even give it a first long look. In fact, this looks like something that Savant or Crestron or RTI (probably not URC…) will incorporate into their systems if they are smart, and we know that they are. This is a very positive and promising development. Open minds everybody, open minds make full pockets.

Posted by HBlaugh on March 8, 2019

Agree most likely implemented in Cable Company first; CES demo showed ease of STB setup and voice operation.  Also agree one of our favored HA partners should harness NEVO powerful voice backend.  Original NEVO was really good. Made plea for reviving NEVO to a customer on UEI board around that time.  Could new NEVO provide CE channel more secure and profitable voice assistant platform?  Lead with privacy and cyber security.

Posted by HBlaugh on March 8, 2019