Speakers

Sonos Kills it with New Sonos Amp, Seriously Open API, Sonance In-Walls, Channel Love

In grand gesture to the smart-home installation channel, Sonos launches powerful new Amp, opens API with plentiful tools for all who care to integrate, launches in-wall/in-ceiling speakers powered by Sonance and launches a genuine, generous dealer program.

Posted by iKnowTech on August 29, 2018

Still waiting for 4 x “Connects” in 1U rack-mount form factor.  I have to think that’s what most professional integrators want more than anything. I suspect most would like to continue with the Amp and Speakers lines they already use in their projects.  Is anyone actually asking for powered in wall and in ceiling speakers?

Posted by stanera on August 29, 2018

“Before you get too excited, no, you still won’t be able to search Sonos music through a third-party home automation system….”  Sorry, but without this capability none of the other new features amount to much.  If we can’t integrate Sonos properly as a music player with full access to content using a third party control system, then we have very little use for it, except in very basic house music systems that do not involve a control system.

Posted by bbjorkquist on August 29, 2018

Congrats to Sonos on this new product line. Like you said Julie, a rack mounted amplifier may not technically be new, but it’s groundbreaking none-the-less when done by Sonos; demonstrating that they are paying attention to the channel, and giving dealers the rack features they’ve wanted (myself included) along with the rock-solid hardware/software Sonos has always been known for.

Can’t wait to get these added to my rack.

Posted by ifeldman on August 29, 2018

I cannot figure out what I’m missing about this amp that is special for dealers other than being in black?  Its not a standard rack size, its still using a custom face plate, and when looking at the back photo they are stacked on makeshift foam pads to get the height right?  We’ve asked for a multi zone single chassis piece for 10 years and got a black box with removable feet and apparently we are crying happy about it?

Posted by cinematech on August 31, 2018

The main advantage I see to this product is the ability to treat a traditional pair of speakers or in-wall speakers like a soundbar. Having an amplifier that should just work when you turn your TV on and off and still support native Sonos streaming seems useful. It would be helpful if it supported IR learning for those TVs where CEC is so unreliable that it’s borderline useless.

Posted by theloopboise on September 3, 2018

Full disclosure, I’m not a big Sonos fan.  That being said, can someone explain why this is such a big deal?  From my view it looks like just a more powerful amp in a new chassis?  How is that such a big deal?  I feel like they are getting bonus points for doing something other companies have done for years…but for some reason since Sonos does it it is amazing.  And speakers?  Yeah, there’s a vertical that needs another player…

Posted by theloopboise on September 3, 2018

Posted by cinematech on August 31, 2018

Posted by ifeldman on August 29, 2018

Posted by bbjorkquist on August 29, 2018

Can’t wait to get these added to my rack.

Posted by stanera on August 29, 2018