Control & Automation

Big SnapAV, Control4 Merger-Acquisition: 16 Questions from JJ

Just prior to interviewing SnapAV and Control4 CEOs, CE Pro's Julie Jacobson offers up 16 questions about the merger/acquisition of two home-tech giants.

Posted by Galegão on May 9, 2019

Credit where credit is due. Way to connect the dots and call it Julie.

Control4 was the ONLY potential acquisition target in your story that received a 8/10 score or higher than a 6.
I’m guessing talks between Control4 and SnapAV/H&F began a month or two after C4 acquired ihiji at the tail end of 2017. Which means that Charlie was made well aware of this potential scenario when he joined them 9 months ago.

It’s not a done deal –But who has a billion bucks to steal Control4 from Snap?

Posted by 7220consulting on May 10, 2019

I’d personally like to know what’s going to happen between the Triad and Episode audio brands. I actually think Triad is more competitive and am really hoping that they stick around. In particular, the factory paint matching of grilles and speakers has proven to be very popular in my market and I don’t have to figure out how to get paint-matching done locally at much higher costs.

Posted by gregc pghcustomht.com on May 10, 2019

Julie, you missed a HUGE overlap. C4 owns Triad Speakers. Snap has both contractor grade and their step up speaker line. I sure hope that either Triad gets spun off, or is run independently from Snap.

Posted by ifeldman on May 10, 2019

I really don’t think the Episode speaker line and Triad really overlap that much, they really target different markets.  I see no reason they both won’t stick around.  There are plenty of speaker companies out there with multiple lines, for example Nortek has Proficient, Speakercraft, Sunfire, and Niles.

On the networking side I see more competition there but they also hit different price points and in my opinion both have their deficiencies.  Maybe more people working together on a single platform will get both lines up to where they should be.  I suspect they will join forces and create a comprehensive product line under the Pakedge brand.  Still waiting for ihiji integration, bakpak sucks and OvrC really excels for its own products but not 3rd party.

I see larger competition/conflict of interest in Clare/C4, Binary vs C4(leaf) Video Distribuion, and Autonomic vs C4 Audio.  I’m also concerned about distribution and bringing more C4 dealers on, snap sells to everyone, C4 does not.

Hopefully this will be the kick in the pants/investment C4 needs to truly get its 3rd gen product line out.  Everything has been so stagnant for years its getting embarrassing.

I really expected Amazon to be the billion dollar buyer.

Posted by ifeldman on May 10, 2019

I really expected Amazon to be the billion dollar buyer.

Posted by gregc pghcustomht.com on May 10, 2019

Posted by 7220consulting on May 10, 2019

Posted by Galegão on May 9, 2019

Credit where credit is due. Way to connect the dots and call it Julie.

It’s not a done deal –But who has a billion bucks to steal Control4 from Snap?