Networking & Cables

Just a Man and His Tools: Look Inside a Technician’s ‘Perfect’ Toolbag

29-year veteran installation technician Jimmie Guarino of AVS in NYC carries 75 tools worth $20K in his 50-pound toolbag. How does yours compare?

Posted by burtont62 on March 15, 2018

This is why I check cepro everyday.

Posted by Rudyvalle on March 16, 2018

I really like his work ethic is great and all keep it up we need more guys like you in the field.

Posted by Randy Blanchard on March 16, 2018

This is great.  The part I think you glossed over is the bag itself.  Jimmie is using a Veto Pro Pack.  I see installers all the time with loaded duffel bags, or worse buckets from home depot.  I think having the right bag is as important as the tools that go it.  Veto bags are expensive but they seem to be the best bags available and have tons of the right size compartments.  A good bag, well organized, should make your tool investment last longer.  (dare I say that Veto bags are available at ADI?).

Posted by Adroit1 on March 18, 2018

His bag of tools is fabulous. I used to carry many of the same tools. As I have gotten old, I find that carrying that many tools in the same bag is too much, so I have split my tools in half. Mine has little differences, like a 6”  crescent wrench instead of multiple wrenches. However there is still the 7/16 for coax. What I carry in my primary bag, not mentioned in the story, because I do so many refits and remodeling is a “fox and hound” to find wires. Fortunately, the vast majority of the jobs we do allow a truck to be right outside, so I always have the rest of my tools immediately available.

Posted by avservice on March 18, 2018

One of my favorite tools for a few years now is a tiny HD Monitor.
Almost everything we do these days involves routing HD Video and without a way to see whats going on I waste a lot of time.
Same with Network Testing.
I also carry a small BT speaker with an Aux In for signal tracking and use it all the time.

I like my Veto bags too mostly but wish they had more room for bigger gear and a parts box,everything is so tight in there it can be frustrating.
But they are tough for sure!

Posted by PHAND on March 19, 2018

$20000? I think you added an extra zero on to that.. but yes, nice gear. We all have our favourite tools and keeping them neat and tidy is always a good way to show off to your clients how you work.

Posted by PHAND on March 19, 2018

Posted by avservice on March 18, 2018

One of my favorite tools for a few years now is a tiny HD Monitor.
Same with Network Testing.

But they are tough for sure!

Posted by Adroit1 on March 18, 2018

Posted by Randy Blanchard on March 16, 2018

Posted by Rudyvalle on March 16, 2018

Posted by burtont62 on March 15, 2018

This is why I check cepro everyday.