Control & Automation

Lutron: Lighting Fixtures Are ‘Greatest Opportunity’ for Integrators Today

At CEDIA Expo, Lutron goes all in on lighting fixtures and bulbs with integrated Ketra room. Ed Blair takes reins as executive vice president for custom market.

Posted by Carlton Bale on August 31, 2018

I feel like I must be missing something, because it doesn’t seem like integrators will have any part of the sale or installation of the fixtures. Other companies are targeting integrators via low-voltage tunable white fixtures. That seems to be a gap in the Lutron product lines.

Is this the case or am I missing something?

Posted by Julie Jacobson on September 1, 2018

I think you’re missing something, Carlton. Integrators were saying that about window coverings a decade ago. I agree it does sound strange today, but I think it will happen. You sell furniture, right? Same thing, I believe.

Posted by Carlton Bale on September 1, 2018

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post. I agree that lighting is the next big opportunity for integrators. What I’m questioning is Lutron’s approach, and if it’s really a good fit for integrators. The design work is done by local lighting design firms and the installation is done by licensed electricians. I don’t see this being a clear win for integrators.

Other companies, such as LumaSteamn and others, are offering lighting design consultation services directly to integrators and offer low-voltage lighting product lines that can be sold and installed by the integrators.

It seems to me that there is a gap in Lutron’s product line and that high-voltage fixtures don’t create as much of a right-to-play for integrators. I’ve always viewed Lutron as a leader in this space, but it seems like there’s a gap yet to be filled for this to be a transformative opportunity, like the way controls and shades have been in the past. But maybe I’m missing something and the Lutron offering really is a perfect match?

Posted by Julie Jacobson on September 1, 2018

I do find it odd that Lutron hasn’t innovated on the LV/DC side (at least nothing public), but I think we’ll see that happen through Ketra. Anyway, great questions to ask them at CEDIA.

Posted by Carlton Bale on September 5, 2018

If Lutron wants to help integrators, they should offer Ketra color-tunable bulbs that work with the Clear Connect protocol and Radio RA2 controllers. That would expand the most popular product line to include the light source, and would work for both new construction and retrofit jobs.

Posted by Carlton Bale on September 5, 2018

Posted by Julie Jacobson on September 1, 2018

Posted by Carlton Bale on September 1, 2018

Posted by Julie Jacobson on September 1, 2018

Posted by Carlton Bale on August 31, 2018

Is this the case or am I missing something?

×