Goodbye, Runco

Planar and new owner Leyard are killing Runco projectors, the last vestige of the vaunted Runco home theater brand.

Posted by wiredguy on February 26, 2016

I was hoping that with Texas Instruments announcement of the new DLP chip, that we would soon see a new LED light engine based DLP projector from Runco. I still love my Q750i and have sold several of them. I am disappointed that I will not see what Runco could do with the new chip. Now I will only be able to imagine what it would have looked like. Sorry to see the end of this product line!

Posted by Jim Kershaw on February 26, 2016

Having been involved in projection television since the early Advent days, seeing another legendary PJ brand disappear is painful.  Sam Runco leaves a legacy of innovative, high-performance products, and a business practice that will never be duplicated.  His Mexico trips took a large industry category, and re-made into a small family of friends.  We will miss the passion, and the people!

Posted by jhamill1 on February 26, 2016

Man, the Q series have an awesome image! Definitely sad to see them go. It’s probably been a tough market for display manufacturers over the past few years; thankfully there are some other very qualified brands going strong for now.

Posted by Audioplus on February 26, 2016

I agree with Jim, It’s been 15 years but still miss the family of friends and people. I think passion in the industry departed a few years ago? Dan C

Posted by Jason Knott on February 26, 2016

The end of an era for sure.

Posted by bizbuilder on February 26, 2016

Some of the most challenging times of my life and career.  Helped me put two kids through college and boy was it fun!  Thank you Sam!

Posted by Adroit1 on February 26, 2016

I had the pleasure of selling both projectors and plasma TV’s from Runco back when a 42” TV cost $17000.00. We had sold 4 TV’s to a yacht refit project and one of them had a mother board go bad. Sam sent a new board and. at 8 PM on a Saturday night, guided me in replacing that board. Lying a plasma TV down was quite scary, but Sam was patient and assured me nothing would go wrong. It was that kind of quality and service that made the Runco brand as good as it could be. It is sad the brand is no longer with us, but with so much competition, and without Lori and Sam, and without updated products, the end was inevitable. It is sad.

Posted by Mitch.rauch on February 26, 2016

You can still buy most of your Runco projectors from the manufacturer. We still have plenty and have created new model names h9090 is the led machine you so loved….

Posted by shawn panamorph.com on February 28, 2016

About a decade ago Sam Runco took a chance on industry acquaintance that launched the anamorphic UltraWide home cinema movement that ultimately became Panamorph. Today, and over $14M in lens sales later, every major home theater projector brand includes these anamorphic modes to differentiate full 4K performance on an UltraWide theater screen from the only 3K resolution of letterbox movies people can get with flat panels. Sam loved movies so much that he wanted everybody to be able to enjoy them like he did. That created a legacy still growing to this day and I will never forget working with Sam and the entire Runco family to make that happen.

Posted by TedG on March 1, 2016

This is one of my predictions that I’m sorry to see come true!

Posted by TedG on March 1, 2016

This is one of my predictions that I’m sorry to see come true!

Posted by shawn panamorph.com on February 28, 2016

Posted by Mitch.rauch on February 26, 2016

Posted by Adroit1 on February 26, 2016

Posted by bizbuilder on February 26, 2016

Posted by Jason Knott on February 26, 2016

The end of an era for sure.

Posted by Audioplus on February 26, 2016