Schlage Debuts Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt at CES 2019
The Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt features a hubless design, Ring compatibility, and Amazon Cloud Cam support.
Schlage today announced its newest smart lock, Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt, at the 2019 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. Featuring built-in WiFi connectivity, Schlage Encode is the brand's next-generation smart lock designed to enable secure remote access from anywhere, without the need for a hub.
Schlage Encode will initially be integrated to work with the Key app to provide homeowners with an access management solution that can be used without a camera or hub.
"Even with all the advancements in the category, we recognized there was still a gap in simple, secure, high-performance and cost-effective all-in-one solutions," says Lee Odess, vice president, solutions providers business at Allegion, maker of Schlage locks.
"Thus, Schlage Encode was designed to be the most versatile smart lock to date to provide homeowners with one trusted device – no gateway or hub needed – that could operate across home ecosystems and platforms and deliver the performance consumers expect from a category leader."
Alexa Ready, Ring Compatibility Coming Soon
Schlage says the deadbolt is easy designed to be easy to install, with a quick connection to in-home WiFi to make it even more convenient for homeowners to have secure, remote access control.
No hubs are needed, and all users need is a WiFi connection and the Key app to install and start using the lock. Customers can choose to add an Amazon Cloud Cam to their Key Smart Lock Kit to monitor entries and deliveries but it is not required for the Schlage Encode to work.
Additionally, Ring customers will soon be able to lock and unlock their Schlage Encode directly from the live feed of their Ring doorbell or camera in the Ring app. Users can also enable the Key skill within their Alexa app to enjoy voice control of their lock.
"For the past year, we've been thrilled to see how customers have benefited from Key by Amazon. We started with the idea of in-home package delivery and quickly learned that our customers found peace of mind and delight from the control Key gives them over their most important place—their homes—even when they weren't there themselves. We are now evolving Key to open up new possibilities," says Rohit Shrivastava, GM of Key by Amazon.
"The Schlage Encode lock is an innovative, easy-to-use option for any customer who wants to experience the magic of a keyless life. It makes managing access for renters, letting the dog walker in while you're at work, sending a grocery delivery to your elderly parent's house, and so much more incredibly simple – all you need is WiFi and the Key app."
Other features include:
- Built-in WiFi so users can operate Schlage Encode from wherever they are via the Key app.
- The ability to manage multiple guest access, by creating up to 100 unique codes for recurring, temporary or permanent access. This means customers can create unique codes with specified schedules for guests that are only active during specified time periods.
- Ability to monitor access via customizable notifications when a code is used, or via the app activity log to see a historical record of when the lock has been accessed.
- Optional in-home delivery for Prime members in eligible areas with the addition of the Amazon Cloud Cam.
- Voice assistant compatibility via Amazon Alexa. Customers enable the Key skill for Alexa and ask Alexa to lock their door and check the status of their door. Homeowners can enable "Unlock by Voice" in the Alexa App, which requires a 4-digit code when unlocking Schlage Encode.
The Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt is available for presale and will retail for $250 MSRP.
Secure Your Free Pass to CEDIA EXPO 2019
Register before Sept. 2 to gain free access to the opening keynote, product training & education series as well as the show floor including Innovation Alley and much more. Don’t miss your chance. Sign up today.
SecurityProduct Briefs: Capitol Design Support; Elan adds Jandy; Crestron Marine Program; Zigbee Milestone
Survey Finds Over 50% of Businesses Don’t Comply With CCPA
Adapting for Cloud-Based Video Surveillance: How to Sell It, Price It
Massive ADT Report Shows How Customers View Smart Home Tech
CEDIA Find: Cellgate’s Cell-Based Access Control with Streaming Video; Control4 Integration
View more on Security