Now Toshiba Has Home Automation Hub: New Symbio with ZigBee, Z-Wave, Camera, Alexa
Toshiba has its turn with a home-automation hub, debuting at CES 2018, that does more than the next guy's -- ZigBee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, intercom, camera, Alexa voice control, sensors ....
We're just going through the motions here at CES 2018, with the game: Who's home-automation hub does the most? Next up: Toshiba with its new Symbio smart home system (model TH-GW10, $249). Like the others, it doesn't really need much description. They all sound alike: "Essentially, with one simple device, Symbio can deliver a smart home experience that previously required professionally installed systems."
The money quote, from Mineo Maruyama, VP, Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation: “Symbio is a tremendous addition to our growing portfolio of Toshiba Visual Solutions consumer smart home products, which includes our smart TVs with voice search and home appliance control services. By integrating the latest IoT technologies, such as AI, audio technologies and voice recognition, we will continue to expand the functionality of today’s smart homes while providing easy, useful and personalized services to support this evolution in the future.”
The 'First' claim: "The world’s first all-in-one smart home solution with 6 functions in one easy-to-use device."
First question on Amazon: How tall is this product? (Answer: 8.63 inches)
First comment from verified user: What is unique about Symbio is that it has both a Security Camera and a full featured Smart Home hub built in. As far as I know, there is not another product available with this combination.
The obligatory video:
The peaceful baby:
Toshiba Symbio Specs
- 1080p Full HD, wide-angle, low light camera
- Physical camera privacy cover
- Security siren, audible alarm
- Sound- and motion-based smart phone alerts
- Two-way remote communication with app
- Built-in environment sensors (e.g., temperature, humidity, ambient light)
- Smart alerts and notifications
Smart Sound Detector
- Get alerts on your smart phone from both connected and legacy devices (e.g., smoke alarms)
- Makes your existing legacy alarms part of the system
- Alerts you to noise (e.g., baby monitoring, elder care)
Wi-Fi Streaming Speaker
- High-excursion speaker with high quality audio processing
- Popular music CSPs (e.g., Amazon Music, iHeart Radio®, Pandora®, Tune-in)
- Local Bluetooth® music playback
Voice Control with Amazon Alexa
- Touch-free voice activation
- Proprietary far-field voice recognition
- Amazon Alexa voice control
- Amazon Alexa information services
- Natural language interface
- Wi-Fi, ZigBee and Z-Wave wireless radio technology
- Supports a variety of third-party IoT devices
- Quad Core CPU enables full expandability to add dozens of smart home devices
- Built-in home environment sensors
- Compatible with iOS and Android™
- Provides simple control of multiple smart devices around your home
- Wi-Fi, 2.4GHz (5GHz)
- Two-way remote communication
- Call from Smart Phone to Symbio
- Call from Symbio to Smart Phone
- Get alerts from crying baby using loud noise detector
- Activate music remotely
The Press Release
IRVINE, Calif. --Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation has announced the U.S. release of the new Symbio™ multi-function smart home solution, delivering the capabilities of six products—a wireless security camera, smart speaker, voice control with Amazon® Alexa, an intercom, smart sound detector and an expandable smart home hub—all in a single elegant device.
“Symbio is a tremendous addition to our growing portfolio of Toshiba Visual Solutions consumer smart home products, which includes our smart TVs with voice search and home appliance control services”
By consolidating multiple smart home functions into one solution, Symbio eliminates the need to purchase and control multiple devices, giving consumers more value for their money and empowering users to manage their smart home quickly and easily with their voice or a simple touch.
All Symbio functionality is controlled through a single, user-friendly app, which works with iOS and Android™ smartphones. The Toshiba Smart Home App turns a smartphone into a remote control for all Toshiba Symbio™ connected smart home devices. With the app, users have full control over everything from lights and music to door locks and temperature settings, from any location—at home, at the office or out of town.
Symbio also functions as a smart home hub, which accommodates many connected devices powered by Z-Wave or ZigBee wireless technology, the wireless communications protocol used in hundreds of home automation devices. With a growing number of devices available today, and more being continually introduced, users can easily expand and customize their home with additional smart devices over time.
Essentially, with one simple device, Symbio can deliver a smart home experience that previously required professionally installed systems.
Six smart home Symbio functions:
- Security Camera: 1080p Full HD, wide-angle, low-light camera keeps an eye on children, pets and the home environment for greater peace of mind. Provides sound- and motion-based alerts, and streams live HD video to a smartphone.
- Smart Sound Detector: Monitors for loud sounds, including legacy smoke detectors, and sends smartphone alerts for increased safety.
- Smart Speaker: Integrated full-range speaker offers built-in access to Bluetooth® or almost limitless streaming music from leading services like Amazon Music, Pandora and iHeart Radio. Features an exclusive ODMD (Onkyo Double Molding Diaphragm) high-excursion driver to deliver rich, immersive sound.
- Touch-free Voice Control with Amazon Alexa: With simple voice commands, Alexa can answer questions, play music, provide news updates and control lights, temperature and more.
- Smart Home Hub: Allows your Symbio to connect and control additional sensors and devices. Easily expand your system over time with a variety of third-party IoT devices.
- Intercom: Offers built-in microphones and speaker to enable two-way communication between Symbio™ and your smartphones.
In addition to retail sales, the power and flexibility of Symbio™ makes it an ideal solution for those interested in launching “smart-home” related services such as home automation, security or providing access for curated service providers.
“Symbio™ is a tremendous addition to our growing portfolio of Toshiba Visual Solutions consumer smart home products, which includes our smart TVs with voice search and home appliance control services,” said Mineo Maruyama, Vice President, Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation. “By integrating the latest IoT technologies, such as AI, audio technologies and voice recognition, we will continue to expand the functionality of today’s smart homes while providing easy, useful and personalized services to support this evolution in the future.”
CES - LVCC, Central Hall – #14706
About Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation
Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation is headquartered in Kawasaki City, Japan, and designs and manufactures a range of consumer electronic products and services, including TVs, audio and video peripherals as well as industrial/commercial-grade displays and signage solutions. Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation serves clients worldwide and is committed to providing their customers with technologically innovative products as well as offering excellent solutions and support to meet the demands of the today’s consumer and business users. To find out more about the company, please visit http://www.toshiba.co.jp/tvs/.
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Email Julie at email@example.com
Control & AutomationProduct Briefs: Monitor Audio Adopts BluOS; Powerhouse Alliance HDMI ;Basalte Crestron Connected
Intermatic Smart In-Wall Lighting Timer Ditches App-Only Installation
eZLO Acquires Smart Home Platform MiOS
Why Noon Home Wants You to Bring Light Bulbs to CEDIA Expo 2018
Smart Lighting System Sales Forecasted to Reach $945M by end of 2018
View more on Control & Automation
Take Our Latest QuizzesHow Well Do You Understand Ethernet Cables and Connectors?
Quiz: Is Your Company Performance Above or Below Average?
How Much Do You Know About Cell Phone Signal Boosters?
How Efficient Is Your Service Department? Take the Quiz
5G and the Need for Cellphone Signal Boosters—Do You Know Enough?