MoCA 2.5 Spec Released with 2Gbps Data Rate
The Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) has released its MoCA 2.5 specification that enables actual data rates of 2Gbps, plus additional features for network management and security.
The Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) has approved its newest specification, MoCA 2.5, capable of up to 2.5Gbps actual data rates, with additional features that address network management and security as required by service providers worldwide.
The new specification is backward interoperable with MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.1. MoCA 2.0 was released in January 2015 with a 400Mbps throughput.
“MoCA has once again raised the performance bar for home networking with an increase in throughput that is more than two and half times MoCA 2.0 with additional capabilities operators need and end users want. In addition, the technology was delivered in one year, from start to finish, further indicating that the Alliance can quickly respond to the market demands of operators,” says Charles Cerino, president of MoCA. “In MoCA 2.5, service providers have another comprehensive standard from MoCA for building their networks.”
Additional MoCA 2.5 Highlights:
- MoCA protected setup (MPS): Easier setup and addition of new nodes with password sharing via push-button (similar to Wi-Fi WPS).
- Management Proxy: Management of nodes that don’t have upper layer management support by supporting management queries from one node on behalf of other nodes.
- Enhanced Privacy: Secure data communications with additional longer password and using different keys between MoCA 2.5 nodes compared to what MoCA 1.1/MoCA 2.0 nodes use along with the ability to control of data forwarding of legacy nodes to and from MoCA 2.5 nodes.
- Network wide Beacon Power: Provides better control of peak signal power on the coax by configuring the beacon power of nodes to an absolute number (within tolerance of the hardware) and advertise that absolute number to other nodes so that the same value is used after handoff.
- Bridge detection: Ability to distinguish between nodes belonging to different networks and pass proprietary information between nodes before admission, as well as pass that same information to upper layers to prevent neighbors from forming a common network.
MoCA 2.5 offers additional performance profiles which enables MoCA 2.0 devices to be upgraded and take advantage of the features described above.
Profile B: 400 Mb/s net data rate up to 16 nodes, and 500 Mbps in turbo mode (two nodes only).
Profile C: 800 Mb/s net data rate with channel bonding up to 16 nodes, and 1 Gbps in turbo mode (two nodes only).
Profile D: 1.5 Gbps, 2 Gbps and 2.5 Gbps net data rates up to 16 nodes.
The new specification is available to members now.
7 Clever Ways to Hide Home Technology - CE Pro Download
Most technology products are not that visually appealing. Black boxes and tangled wires do not add to the character of a high-end smart home project. Luckily, our integrator readers have a number of clever solutions so these components don’t have to be visible in your next project.
Jason has covered low-voltage electronics as an editor since 1990. He joined EH Publishing in 2000, and before that served as publisher and editor of Security Sales, a leading magazine for the security industry. He served as chairman of the Security Industry Association’s Education Committee from 2000-2004 and sat on the board of that association from 1998-2002. He is also a former board member of the Alarm Industry Research and Educational Foundation. He is currently a member of the CEDIA Education Action Team for Electronic Systems Business. Jason graduated from the University of Southern California. Have a suggestion or a topic you want to read more about? Email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Jason on social media:
Networking & CablesProduct Briefs: BluOS adds Alexa Voice Control; Leviton Tool; Z-Wave Gecko; RTI QMotion Driver
ConnectWise Acquires Sienna Group, Adds Data Security to Productivity Suite
Bob Archer’s 2018 Home-Technology Products of the Year
RTI Miravue VIP-1 Video Over IP System is Now Shipping
10 Home-Tech Products for a More Joyous Holiday Season
View more on Networking & Cables