9 Interesting Home Automation Things You Might Have Missed at CEDIA
CE Pro's Julie Jacobson discovers little home automation products and features that were easy to miss at CEDIA 2017, including Global Cache's potential as smart-home hub, and good news on Nest API.
Julie Jacobson · September 19, 2017
We've already reported a lot of home-automation news for CEDIA 2017, mostly featuring the larger smart-home companies and the bigger IoT developments.
But there were also plenty of smaller things that tend to get overlooked. I discovered many of them, posted in the slideshow here, and there will be plenty of additional discoveries to share as we rummage through our notes and photos.
They include Global Cache's new potential to be a complete smart-home hub, Doorbird's new two-wire PoE adapter, and an ASUS router with IFTTT support built in.
Meanwhile ... Our Bigger Smart Home Stories
Meanwhile, here's a look at some of the larger smart-home stories we've already covered. You might have missed those, too. Items marked ** have the highest volume of traffic.
- Tunable White Lighting Enters Smart-Home Market at CEDIA 2017
- CEDIA Clips: Disappearing Camera Trick, Smarter Smart Lock, Spinning iPad, More
- Smart Home Scenes from CEDIA 2017: From Seura Smart Mirrors to Savant Bluetooth Lighting
- Control4 Adds If/Then Engine to Home Automation, Lets End Users Tweak System **
- SI’s Launch of the Decade: Motorized Shades Like None Other **
- Josh.ai Micro Is Complete Voice-Controlled Home Automation Hub for Every Room
- Cheap Echo Dot Meets Premium Multiroom Audio: The Genius of Origin Acoustics’ Valet Amp **
- CEDIA Find: HiberSense Uses Sensors, Predictive Analytics for Smart Vents, Motorized Dampers
- Exclusive: URC Total Control 2.0 is Complete Overhaul of Flagship Home Automation System
- Inside Lutron CEDIA 2017 Booth: RA2 Select Is ‘Total Gamechanger’ **
- Savant TrueImage Interface Reintroduced, Simplified
- Savant’s First Motorized Shades Offer Simple Ordering, Installation, Integration
We're Looking for Your BEST Projects
Don’t miss your chance to enter to win a 2019 BEST Projects Award. We’ll be announcing winners at a special Gala event at CEDIA EXPO. We can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to this year! Enter your projects now.
Julie Jacobson is founding editor of CE Pro, the leading media brand for the home-technology channel. She has covered the smart-home industry since 1994, long before there was much of an Internet, let alone an Internet of things. Currently she studies, speaks, writes and rabble-rouses in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V, wellness-related technology, biophilic design, and the business of home technology. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, and earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin. She is a recipient of the annual CTA TechHome Leadership Award, and a CEDIA Fellows honoree. A washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player, Julie currently resides in San Antonio, Texas and sometimes St. Paul, Minn. Follow on Twitter: @juliejacobson Email Julie at email@example.com
Control & AutomationBiophilia and the Big Wellness Opportunity for Smart-Home Pros
Ezlo Acquires Centralite Systems, Adding ZigBee to Z-Wave Home-Automation Portfolio
Product Briefs: Clare Supports Autonomic & More; ProSource Home Theater; Z-Wave Plus v2
CEDIA Expo 2019: 5 Wellness Companies You Never Heard of
Parks Associates: Consumers Have Major Concerns About Smart Home Privacy and Safety
View more on Control & Automation