9 Interesting Home Automation Things You Might Have Missed at CEDIA
CE Pro's Julie Jacobson discovers little home automation products and features that were easy to miss at CEDIA 2017, including Global Cache's potential as smart-home hub, and good news on Nest API.
Julie Jacobson · September 19, 2017
We've already reported a lot of home-automation news for CEDIA 2017, mostly featuring the larger smart-home companies and the bigger IoT developments.
But there were also plenty of smaller things that tend to get overlooked. I discovered many of them, posted in the slideshow here, and there will be plenty of additional discoveries to share as we rummage through our notes and photos.
They include Global Cache's new potential to be a complete smart-home hub, Doorbird's new two-wire PoE adapter, and an ASUS router with IFTTT support built in.
Meanwhile ... Our Bigger Smart Home Stories
Meanwhile, here's a look at some of the larger smart-home stories we've already covered. You might have missed those, too. Items marked ** have the highest volume of traffic.
- Tunable White Lighting Enters Smart-Home Market at CEDIA 2017
- CEDIA Clips: Disappearing Camera Trick, Smarter Smart Lock, Spinning iPad, More
- Smart Home Scenes from CEDIA 2017: From Seura Smart Mirrors to Savant Bluetooth Lighting
- Control4 Adds If/Then Engine to Home Automation, Lets End Users Tweak System **
- SI’s Launch of the Decade: Motorized Shades Like None Other **
- Josh.ai Micro Is Complete Voice-Controlled Home Automation Hub for Every Room
- Cheap Echo Dot Meets Premium Multiroom Audio: The Genius of Origin Acoustics’ Valet Amp **
- CEDIA Find: HiberSense Uses Sensors, Predictive Analytics for Smart Vents, Motorized Dampers
- Exclusive: URC Total Control 2.0 is Complete Overhaul of Flagship Home Automation System
- Inside Lutron CEDIA 2017 Booth: RA2 Select Is ‘Total Gamechanger’ **
- Savant TrueImage Interface Reintroduced, Simplified
- Savant’s First Motorized Shades Offer Simple Ordering, Installation, Integration
7 Clever Ways to Hide Home Technology - CE Pro Download
Most technology products are not that visually appealing. Black boxes and tangled wires do not add to the character of a high-end smart home project. Luckily, our integrator readers have a number of clever solutions so these components don’t have to be visible in your next project.
Julie Jacobson, recipient of the 2014 CEA TechHome Leadership Award, is co-founder of EH Publishing, producer of CE Pro, Electronic House, Commercial Integrator, Security Sales and other leading technology publications. She currently spends most of her time writing for CE Pro in the areas of home automation, security, networked A/V and the business of home systems integration. Julie majored in Economics at the University of Michigan, spent a year abroad at Cambridge University, earned an MBA from the University of Texas at Austin, and has never taken a journalism class in her life. She's a washed-up Ultimate Frisbee player currently residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Control & AutomationWhy Ring Acquired Mr. Beams: New Ring Smart Lighting System at CES 2019
Lutron Caséta Fan Speed Control Makes Dumb Fans Smarter
Product Briefs: Luxul Firmware Updates; DTS SoC for TVs; Atlona Dolby Vision; DTC Alliance
Smart Digital Backsplash: The Coolest Thing I Saw at CES 2019
Dumb Old Low-Voltage Landscape Lights? New Ring Transformer Makes Them Smart
View more on Control & Automation