ADT Set to Lead New Consumer Privacy Initiative
The new initiative will seek to make sure security and home automation industry leaders take an active role in protecting consumer privacy.
ADT (NYSE: ADT) has announced it intends to lead a new consumer privacy initiative with a number of organizations committed to encouraging the adoption of new privacy standards and best practices throughout the home security industry.
The initiative will focus on ensuring the security and home automation industry take a leadership role in protecting consumer privacy. Launched on Data Privacy Day, these efforts build on ADT’s promise to protect what matters most, according to a press release.
According to data released in November by market research firm Harris Poll and public relations firm Finn Partners, data privacy is the most pressing issue for those surveyed, and consumers are looking for companies to be proactive in protecting their data.
With considerable growth and technology innovation in the security industry, the prioritization of privacy is higher than ever before.
“Every day millions of our customers trust us with what they love and cherish the most, including their privacy. That is why our privacy practices are purposefully designed to ensure we continue earning their well-placed trust,” says Jim DeVries, president and CEO, ADT.
DeVries continues, “This initiative is part of our ongoing commitment, as the market leader in home security, to implement high standards for our industry, and as we look at the future of technology and access, align our industry around standards and practices that better protect consumers.”
ADT Initiative to Focus on Adopting Best Practices, Working With Dealers
In the coming months, the initiative will focus on three key objectives:
- Adopting a set of industry-wide best practices that are customer-centric and drive transparency.
- Working with dealers, partners and other industry organizations on the enhanced privacy and ethical standards for our industry.
- Programs focused on privacy, ethics, and transparency.
Partners in the initiative currently include:
- Security Industry Association (SIA), the leading trade association for global security solution providers, with nearly 900 innovative member companies representing thousands of security leaders and experts who shape the future of the security industry.
- The Monitoring Association (TMA, formerly CSAA), an internationally-recognized, non-profit trade association representing professional monitoring companies.
- Electronic Security Association (ESA), the largest trade association in the U.S. representing the electronic security and life-safety industry.
- The Internet Society’s Online Trust Alliance (OTA), an organization that identifies and promotes security and privacy best practices that build consumer confidence in the Internet, in part through its IoT Trust Framework.
- TrustArc, which provides solutions to manage privacy compliance for the GDPR, CCPA and other global privacy regulations.
“The Security Industry Association is pleased to support this important broad-based effort led by ADT to ensure the privacy of consumers,” SIA CEO Don Erickson says.
“SIA has taken a leading role on privacy issues through its Data Privacy Advisory Board, and we look forward to working with our partners on this project to demonstrate that members of the industry are as committed to protecting data privacy as they are to securing people and property.”
ADT is soliciting participation from all other organizations that wish to help drive these objectives.
ADT extended physical security to cybersecurity for residential customers with its Identity Theft Protection offering, which provides monitoring and support to help customers minimize their risk of identity theft and loss exposure.
The company also offers cybersecurity solutions for enterprise and small businesses, providing monitored and managed commercial solutions that protect customers from multiple vectors of attack, including network, endpoints, servers and email communications.
This article originally appeared on our sister publication Security Sales & Integration's website.
We're Looking for Your BEST Projects
Don’t miss your chance to enter to win a 2019 BEST Projects Award. We’ll be announcing winners at a special Gala event at CEDIA EXPO. We can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to this year! Enter your projects now.
Control & AutomationMidyear Report: SnapAV, Control4, Sonos, Atmos, Tuya Among Top 10 Most-Read Stories on CEPro.com
Design Meets Technology at ICFF 2019: Most Stunning Lighting & Home Tech
Biophilia: Nature Sounds vs. White Noise for Productivity and Wellness
Dish Rolls Out New Direct-to-Consumer Smart Home Service
New GE-Brand Z-Wave Smart Light Switches Available in Five Styles
View more on Control & Automation