Search CE Pro

CE Pro Community | Using digital coax wire to send analog signals?

Using digital coax wire to send analog signals?
Posted: 13 August 2012 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-03-26

This question came in from CE Pro reader Scott Hetzel of Pro Circuit AV in California.  Can anyone help him out?

“Some techs think its OK to send analog line level audio on digital coax.  Is there signal degradation in doing so?  Will the audio signal suffer doing this?  Is this acceptable?  I was taught that it is not the right way of doing this type connection.  I would love to get some engineering feedback.”

Posted: 05 October 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-10

I don’t have eng data off hand, but personal exp I have used analog audio for Coax digital and Coax digital cables for analog… at the end of teh day they are the same cable.

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2008-05-14
Jason Knott - 13 August 2012 05:14 AM

This question came in from CE Pro reader Scott Hetzel of Pro Circuit AV in California.  Can anyone help him out?

“Some techs think its OK to send analog line level audio on digital coax.  Is there signal degradation in doing so?  Will the audio signal suffer doing this?  Is this acceptable?  I was taught that it is not the right way of doing this type connection.  I would love to get some engineering feedback.”

Yes, many pre-made interconnects that you purchase are of coaxial design as well.  But, it is very important to use “digital coax” or “serial coax” for this purpose because you need a coax with a solid bare copper (BC) center conductor and a 95% tinned copper braid for proper signal.  It is a bit more expensive than Cable TV coax, but pro installers have been using this type of coax for custom interconnects for years.

Note that standard CATV coax should never be used which is made of Copper-clad steel (CCS) center conductor and a 40 or 60% aluminum braid because it offers poor resistance for the audio signal.

Best,

Carl

Posted: 09 October 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-12-21

RG6 coax is designed to attenuate frequencies below 50 Khz to reject interference. It should never be used for analog audio, ESPECIALLY for subwoofers. There is a significant loss of frequency response and signal amplitude versus the use of high impedence cable designed for audio. Digital coax cable is fine for a digital audio connection, but should not be used for analog.

Posted: 10 October 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2011-03-22

There are two types of cable used for AV interconnects; coax and twisted pair.  Coax is generally recommended for use in video and digital audio applications while twisted pair is generally used for analog audio. Coax cables can be substituted for twisted pair in analog audio but twisted pair cannot be substituted for digital audio since digital audio requires 75Ohm cable.

The performance difference between coax and twisted pair for analog audio negligible.  Any differences in audio performance is far beyond the range of the human ear.

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2013-01-29

I don’t have eng data off hand

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo