CE Pro Community | TV Audio & House audio solution needed

TV Audio & House audio solution needed
Posted: 09 December 2011 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-04-16

Hi,

I was wondering if there are new or different solutions to resolve the lack of variable analog audio out on most TV’s today.
The goal is to tie in the house audio system and local TV audio so that they can share the same speakers in any given room.

In the past the house audio would go to a given room set up with a basic volume control. We would wire 2 16/4 from the VC to the TV, add a Niles TVA50 auto A/B amplifier and set the TV’s audio output to variable. When the TV was turned on, the TV sound would be heard through the speakers and the TV volume would modulate the output to the speakers/amp. when the TV was off, the system would function normally and the local speakers would play the house audio source via the local VC.

Is there anyone here that has a new or different solution to achieve the same thing or something similar in terms of ease of use and seamlessness?

Thanks for the input.

Alan

Posted: 10 December 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Custom Professional
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2008-10-02

This is indeed a problem so my solution isn’t really a solution but more of a different way of thinking. Set it up so the display functions as a monitor. I know this isn’t always possible but with enough planning it usually is. Use STBs at the head-end, analog audio to traditional multi-room audio system, RF remote or iPhone, iPad, etc at the display end, then the control system switches audio and volume for you.

Signature 

Isaac Imig
Director of Operations
Gorge Audio/Video
http://www.gorgeaudiovideo.com

Posted: 10 December 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-04-16

Thanks, Isaac. It’s definitely a way, but it would make it more involved and more expensive.
The old variable analog out was a good solution for the basic 2 or 3-zone system with TV’s in some rooms that could take advantage of the distributed audio system speakers in the same rooms.
It’s been working very well. If I just relocated the source at the head end, I’d have to be wired for it and then the source would be playing in the whole zone, which is not desirable. Then I’d need a matrix switcher, and a way to control the head end - a different system and budget… It’d be cheaper to get a new TV with variable analog out. It’s probably the way to go moving forward, if the client is willing to pay for it.

Alan

Posted: 23 December 2011 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-07

Here is my take on the analog out thing.  TVs nowadays won’t have an analog output.  But, they do have an optical out.  So, what I do, is add a Gefen Digital Audio to Analog Audio piece and install it inline to my house sound switcher.  This will give you variable out to your amp.

Posted: 23 December 2011 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-04-16

Thanks, SmartHome_AV.

Some TV’s still have variable analog audio out (some Sharp, Sony & Vizio models). I realize there are workarounds, but the key here is to have the ability to switch automatically between the TV audio and the house distributed audio when the only speakers in the room are 2 in-wall/in-ceiling speakers with an in-wall VC. In the past, all I’ve needed to do is wire 2 16/4 wires from the VC to the TV and add a Niles TVA50 auto switching amp with analog audio input. Connect properly and use the regular TV/cable/DSS remote, you’re done. Simple and effective as well as fairly affordable. When the client turns on the TV, the TV sound by-passes the VC and goes to the room speakers.The absence of variable audio (digital or analog) in most of todays flat panel TV’s make this solution unusable.

I was merely looking for another solution as simple and as affordable to achieve the same result without the use of a head end audio switcher and universal remote/control system. Seems like the solution is to make sure the client buys the right TV if, and only if a new TV is installed/needed for the room in question.

I was hoping an alternative had been found since the TVA50 was (still is) such a great concept/solution.

Posted: 28 December 2011 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  290
Joined  2007-11-18

There are a couple other ways to try and use a rooms speakers for both TV viewing and house music.  One solution is to go with Sonos as the house music system.  The one downside is you disconnect the house music from any universal control.  For a room with a TV/ Speaker setup you would attach a Sonos Connect to the amp for that room.  The other option is to incorporate a product like the Russound D250LS, which would have both the speaker level from the room amp as well as the speaker level from the house music system connected.  This would always have the room audio override the house music.  So the one downside to this setup is if they ever wanted to have something playing on TV but also listening to the house music in that room.

The simplest is to keep them seperate.  Depending on the relationship with the client, trying to explain a more custom setup might leave them feeling overwhelmed.  A challenge we face daily.

Keep selling!

Signature 

Morgan Harman
Volutone
http://www.Volutone.com

Posted: 28 December 2011 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-04-16

Thanks for the feedback, Morgan.

In my case, there would not be a need to have the TV on with the house or non-TV source audio on at the same time. Here’s how I’d want it and how I have it working with the Niles TVA50:

- When I turn the TV on, the TV audio (local sources, coming from TV audio out) goes to the local speakers (usually ceiling speakers) AND volume is controlled via the remote they use to watch TV
(cable box/Satellite receiver/TV remote)
  - When the TV is off, the local speakers would play the house music sources (a the main head end) and the volume is controlled locally (in wall volume control).

The key here is seamless simplicity. As long as the TV has variable audio output (usually analog), it is done. All I need is an additional 2 16/4 from the VC to the TV, behind which I’d hide the Niles TVA50. The problem arises when the TV does not have variable audio out. Hence the purpose of starting this topic. What would the best solution be then, short of replacing the TV?

Alan

Posted: 29 December 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  290
Joined  2007-11-18

Well, simplicity is where we get stuck.  Because there is nothing simple about hiding black box electronics in places to acheive perceived simplicity.  Because the minute one of those black boxes stops performing - the user is lost.  Documentation is key, as is communication.

That being said, we do have many black boxes to help us acheive things.  Maybe you’re in the market for one of these from Xantech:
http://www.xantech.com/Controls/ControllersSwitches/ControllersSwitchers/RAT1/

It allows IR volume control - not a cheap solution, but cheaper than a new TV.  You may need a line level to speaker level converter like the Russound ADP-1.2 for some reason I can’t find it on the Russound site, but you can Bing it and get the info - all the A/V distributors can get it.

Signature 

Morgan Harman
Volutone
http://www.Volutone.com

Posted: 23 March 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2014-03-20

i need the tv solution.

Signature 

Earn Money

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo