CE Pro Community | Rating Surveillance Systems

Rating Surveillance Systems
Posted: 24 August 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-22

Hello All,

I am an installer/integrator/owner that lives in Hopkinsville, Ky.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a link or paper that is out there that gives a rating score to all the different surveillance systems. This would cover analog and ip cameras and DVR/NVR systems and software.

InTune Technologies

Posted: 27 August 2011 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2007-11-18

In short, no.

There are SO MANY manufacturers.  There are a ton of features.  Each job, each location has a unique set of parameters.  Your company has it’s own set of criteria.  Value, function, availability etc.  Some choose the cheapest package they can find so they can knock out 4 camera setups under $1000 installed.  Others look for a complete range of products from a single manufacturer with industry credibility to attach their solution to.  You’ll find the more you research the category the more of an expert you realize you need to be to really help educate your customers on why your custom solution is the way to go.

You can start by going to manufacturer web sites and seeing how they describe the process of designing surveillence systems and selecting the right products.  Most of the criteria is similar.  Then you have to decide how much custom you want to do vs selling packages.

Happy designing,
Morgan

Signature 

Morgan Harman
Volutone
http://www.Volutone.com

Posted: 29 August 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-29

Hey Patrick and anyone else,

Try http://ipvm.com/

I found this a few years ago and it has been the single most useful site for anything surveillance related.  I have been able to justify the “Pro” membership every year, the stuff I get from John’s work wins me job after job.  He is very candid, loyal to no-one, unbiased to a point that makes it entertaining! 

Morgan is correct, but a little self-justifying.  The first question I ask a client is “Do you want to be able to use the video in court?”  If “no”, than ignore Morgan, its pretty easy and straight forward to find a good balance of cost and features, just pick one and stick with them for consistency.  If “yes”, get Axis certified and go from there.  I trained with ATF, FBI, distributors and other integrators and it was priceless whether you sell Axis or Panasonic or Sony etc. They cover everything hands on, give you a nice Axis camera, reference books, FOV calculators etc.

My favorite things (besides building huge racks) are lighting control and surveillance.  Hope this helps!

Jesse
Harmony Integration LLC

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo