Search CE Pro

CE Pro Community | Best Ways to Sell Lighting Control

Best Ways to Sell Lighting Control
Posted: 07 December 2010 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2008-03-17

What method(s) has worked best for you when pitching lighting control? Share your success stories.

Energy savings seems to always grab all the attention when it comes to lighting control. But there are other ways to pitch lighting control to clients. Julie Jacobson offers tips on how to sell lighting control based on convenience, aesthetics, security and safety.

Read her story here.

[ Edited: 07 December 2010 11:43 AM by Steve Crowe ]

Posted: 10 December 2010 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  290
Joined  2007-11-18

For retrofit opportunities always keep an eye on how the lighting is controlled currently.  Then key in on any known issues and upsell the convenience of lighting control.

i.e. - I was entering a home to scope out the need for adding new distributed audio.  I noticed right away that there were 5 levels of control on the wall when entering.
1) Security keypad on top
2) Thermostat and existing volume control at level 2
3) triple gang Lutron Diva dimmers
4) triple gang Lutron Diva dimmers
5) triple gang Lutron Diva dimmers

I pointed out that it was a great example of how the standard way of adding lighting loads ends up creating a mess AND asked how often people click through all the dimmers looking for the right lights.  I was told that everyone one did, everytime.

I simply stated that we could put in a system that would give them lighting scenes in addition so that they could avoid 90% of the hunting for lights.  2 days later we got approval on upgrading 50 dimmers and incorporating 9 keypads.

You wont get everyone, but you wont get any if you don’t bring it up.

Signature 

Morgan Harman
Volutone
http://www.Volutone.com

Posted: 21 January 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-01-21

I agree, convenience is big selling point. Reducing complexity and adding comfort, keep it simple!

Posted: 28 February 2011 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-17

Let’s hear some more ways to sell/pitch clients on lighting control. And check out the 2011 HGTV Dream Home, which is outfitted with Lutron lighting control and shade control.

http://www.cepro.com/article/hgtv_dream_home_goes_high_tech/

Posted: 01 March 2011 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-31

Many clients aren’t aware that they can configure the scenes themselves, without the need for a site visit.  At least for some systems.

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-17

What is their response when you tell them they can configure scenes? Are they more or less inclined to buy?

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-01-21

Scenes are great, one touch of a button does it all. But it’s no fun if you have to call someone to configure it.
If the client can’t configure it them selves, it’s a no go.
The trick is to do it simple and restrict the scenes that can be configured to a room. It’s no use to be able to configure complex general house scenes.
If the client gets this functionality in a way they can easily control it, chances for a sale improve drastically.

Another way to get the system attractive is to reduce the amount of buttons on a keypad and make the system less complicated.
Well designed keypads can make it all come together.

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo