CE Pro Community | Submit Photos of Worst Installs

2 of 2
Submit Photos of Worst Installs
Posted: 01 June 2011 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-05

This is a job that I am currently working with the customer to get a real rack system in place. The builder who built the home prided himself on his ability to put in a theater system and a Niles home audio system. The Theater had its own set of issues.

Shown here are the 2 Niles audio controllers, 2 Onkyo CD Changers, a phone connection block, 3 Directv 6x8 multiswitches, a Niles Door station sitting between the 2 Niles audio controllers, and a goofy 3 way splinter for the antenna to work. In these pictures I had already rewired the Directv multiswitches to only use 2 of the 3 shown. I have rewired most everything again since taking these picture just to make this system more function-able.  I will have some after shots once we get a rack system in place.

[ Edited: 01 June 2011 07:36 PM by mechone ]
Image Attachments
ShelfRackSystem02a.jpgShelfRackSystem01a.jpg

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-05

This is 2 Directv HD Receivers sitting on the floor of the living room. This is from the same job as above.

There are 2 coaxial cables, and 2 CAT5 cables running from the Equipment room to the Living room. Then 5 - CAT5 cables running from this floor location over to the fireplace where the TV is hung.

One of the receivers is a HD DVR that needs 2 coaxial cables for both tuners to work.

The HD DVR also had a component balum with digital audio somehow configured by splicing the twisted pairs to work through 1 CAT5 going over to the TV. 

The other HD Receiver was wired with CAT5 coming from the Equipment room spliced into the B-Band converter.

It then used a RF Modulator and Di-Plexers to send video back to the Equipment room and out to the Patio TV on CH-3
Both TVs are 46” Samsung Plasma TVs

This was cleaned up by moving both Directv receiver to the Equipment room and using Component balums with left and right audio straight to the TV. A RJ45 coupler was used at the floor location and all the wires where stuffed into the wall in the living room. RTI Remotes now control the Directv receivers.

Image Attachments
LivingRm-Patio-DirectvSystem02a.jpgLivingRm-Patio-DirectvSystem03a.jpgLivingRm-Patio-DirectvSystem04a.jpg

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-04-03

I will add to this!  Here is a before & after…  and I have not even started on the whole house audio system!  geez what a mess.

David Williams
A/V Solutions

Image Attachments
INSTALL1.jpgINSTALL.jpg

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2008-03-17

Yikes, David, we’d love you to share more about the background of this install.

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
Steve Crowe - 10 August 2011 12:13 PM

The original installation was done by a rather large integrator, and I could not believe it!  Hardly anything was labeled, so I pretty much unhooked everything and started from scratch!  The client wanted to get rid of his 36” Sony CRT set, and update the electronics.

We started off by having a cabinet maker fill in the cabinet and we mounted a 40” Sony LED set, and used a Snap AV Razor mount so the TV pretty much is lying flat against the cabinet.  Next we removed all the electronics & started tracing the wires & boy was that a job!  A few of the wires were labeled with a sharpie, but other than that we had to trace everything out.

We updated the customer’s Marantz A/V Receiver with a newer Marantz SR5005 receiver.  We kept the old Sony VCR (customer still had VHS tapes) and added a Sony Blu-Ray Player & a DirecTV HD DVR.

For the control system we used a RTI T2-Cs remote.  After the House system is complete, the components (CD Changer, Tape) in the house system will be integrated into the Living Room System.

I will get a picture of the TV in the next few days.

David

Posted: 13 February 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-30

Here are some pics of an office I am currently working in…what a mess…2 phone lines on 2 separate ATA’s with 2 separate accounts…about halfway through redoing the whole thing.

Image Attachments
at the beginning.jpegat the beginning 2.jpeghalfway there.jpeg

Posted: 12 March 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
AVSOLUTIONS - 10 August 2011 02:06 PM
Steve Crowe - 10 August 2011 12:13 PM

The original installation was done by a rather large integrator, and I could not believe it!  Hardly anything was labeled, so I pretty much unhooked everything and started from scratch!  The client wanted to get rid of his 36” Sony CRT set, and update the electronics.

We started off by having a cabinet maker fill in the cabinet and we mounted a 40” Sony LED set, and used a Snap AV Razor mount so the TV pretty much is lying flat against the cabinet.  Next we removed all the electronics & started tracing the wires & boy was that a job!  A few of the wires were labeled with a sharpie, but other than that we had to trace everything out.

We updated the customer’s Marantz A/V Receiver with a newer Marantz SR5005 receiver.  We kept the old Sony VCR (customer still had VHS tapes) and added a Sony Blu-Ray Player & a DirecTV HD DVR.

For the control system we used a RTI T2-Cs remote.  After the House system is complete, the components (CD Changer, Tape) in the house system will be integrated into the Living Room System.

I will get a picture of the TV in the next few days.

David

Steve,

I was not aware that I made the slideshow!  Thanks.  I am working on the other cabinet in the same house now, and it’s no better!  This is for the multi-room audio system.  When I finish with this I will take some higher resolutions photo’s for you.

Here is one for now…

David Williams
A/V Solutions

Image Attachments
photo.jpg

Posted: 23 March 2014 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2014-03-20

nice photos.i like it.

Signature 

Earn Money

2 of 2

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo