Search CE Pro

CE Pro Community | 3D-Ready vs. Built-in 3D

3D-Ready vs. Built-in 3D
Posted: 12 July 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2008-03-17

Q. What is the difference between a 3D-ready and a built-in 3D TV or Blu-ray player - with respect to performance, etc. - Yaw Owusu, Hayward, CA

Posted: 12 July 2010 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-03-26

TVs labeled as “3D” ready don’t have the built-in 3D processing. They will work with an external box that will decode the 3D content. You have to buy the decoding box separately. The big caveat with these decoding boxes is they tend to be proprietary meaning that Mitsubishi’s decoding box won’t work with a Samsung television.

A TV labeled as a 3D television, which includes products from Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi and Sony, with products coming from Vizio have the processing already built in.

Posted: 12 July 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Grizzled Veteran
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2010-02-04

Bob,

It was my understanding that at least in Sony’s case, “3D ready” meant that the IR emitter for the 3D glasses was not built into the set, nor were the glasses included. You would have to buy an external emitter and glasses to utilize the 3D capability, and could update firmware via the web if need be. 

Is there an actual 3D converter box as well, like the old HD cable receivers?

Mark

Signature 

Best and God Bless,

Mark Coxon

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”-Arthur C. Clarke

Posted: 13 July 2010 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-03-26

You are correct Mark, you need the firmware download for the existing 3D products, and the IR transmitter and active shutter glasses for the latest announced generation of TVs. Sony’s 3D products are only now starting to hit the market and it’s going to go into full 3D promotion mode this fall with a marketing campaign based around Peyton Manning.

Posted: 13 July 2010 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-28

Bob- you been hanging out at training camp or been on tour with JT? Any word on prices getting more competitive for glasses!?

Posted: 13 July 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2009-09-01

Bob & Mark are absolutely correct. I just purchased a Mitsu 73WD737 TV that is, “3D ready,” because I refused to spend an extra $350.00 wholesale for the 738 model, (which is exactly the same set with 3D built in), because the current 3D format is nothing more than a gimmick and not ready for prime time.

Posted: 05 October 2010 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-09-20

Dave, not totally certain on it being a total gimmick but I do agree the lack of 3d content available currently provides a bit of a hurdle.  In our last round of dealer sales training I was pushing the dealers to focus on the 3d ready sets because of the unsure footing 3d has had out of the gate.  While promotion bundles over the holidays will keep 3d titles locked up with certain manufacturers until into Q1 I see that it will be some time before content becomes readily available.  Although I am looking forward to seeing what the satellite providers bring on to their respective 3d channels this fall.

Posted: 05 October 2010 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2009-09-01

Stray,
My point was that, “3D Ready or Capable,” TV’s are inevitable. MFG’s will force it down our throats whether we like it or not. I personally wouldn’t spend extra money for a set that has the technology fully built in because we don’t know where it’s going. What most people don’t seem to understand is that the 3D format presents another, “format war,” because there are 3 different ways 3D can be broadcasted or displayed.

I read many posts against my new 3D Ready 73” Mitsu before I purchased it. The negative posts argue that it’s not compatible with other 3D formats even if I purchase the additional box and shutter glasses that Mitsu offers.

Getting back to reality, and forgetting about the limited content available, people need to be aware that unless you have a 50” set or larger, (even with perfect formatting capabilities), the 3D experience is less than exciting and presents no, “submursive experience,” to justify spending extra money for it.

The present 3D format for home viewing, IMO, is worthless and reminds me of the first generation LCD TV’s that lost their brightness due to only 15 degrees of off axis viewing, (horizontally or vertically). MFG’s are trying everything to bring people back into the stores because our business is based on planned obsolescence. By introducing this far from perfected format this early, mfg’s rolled the dice that people will forget how bad or un-exciting it presently is. This only makes all of us dealers jobs more difficult to promote or sell it when it’s actually good to go.

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo