Search CE Pro

CE Pro Community | What brand of modems, routers and switches do you use for installations?

What brand of modems, routers and switches do you use for installations?
Posted: 13 July 2009 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-04-15

I’m researching for modems, wireless/wired routers and switches to use in customers installs.  I’ll be incorporating some sort of network-based home automation plus iPhone/iTouch, Media Center, some Apple products, etc.

Do most of you use the standard Linksys and D-Link or are you using more robust and expensive brands?

Also where do you purchase such items?  Are you set up direct, buy through distribution or buy through your local chain, national store.

Thanks.

Posted: 13 July 2009 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-17

We use Netgear ProSafe switches/WAP’s and Linksys (business series or Cisco) routers/VPNs.

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Up-and-Comer
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-07-13

Hi,
Your CE-Pro member profile shows you work for Exceptional Innovation. Are you a LifeWare employee or a dealer? The brand (and model) selection depend on your AV application. If you want to deliver streaming media and house controls then you should look into an all-around Cisco solution. The toll on the network is high once an automation system is on the network, and immense when you add video streaming over Ethernet. Three kscape 1080i streams (of Kalahari Desert) over the network consume over 100mbps of bandwidth while moving 10000 information packets per second (!). Thus, a solid network is required, and the “off-the-shelf” brands just don’t cut it when it comes to longevity. We also enter the age where everything it wireless. Your equipment selection here depends mostly on the environment (indoor/outdoor) and property size. Whatever you do - make sure your data wires are terminated, tested and toned. It will save you some pain for sure.

[ Edited: 14 July 2009 06:59 AM by AccessNetworks ]
 Signature 

Hagai Feiner
Access Networks
http://www.accessca.com

Posted: 14 July 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-05-01

While working in support positions for Kaleidescape, VUDU and now Niveus, there was a common theme…problems with cheap network switches. Yes I will name names Netgear ProSafe, F, G and FS series, you are the bane of mine and others existence. It killed us that someone would spend $20,000+ on a Media Server then balk at the idea of spending $300 on a somewhat decent switch and inexpensive switch. Always try to get a managed switch so you can adjust any settings as needed.

That being said some popular choices amongst installers are:
Cisco or Dell for switches,
Cisco or Pakedge for wireless,
Cisco, Sonicwall, Watchguard for routers/firewalls

Linksys used to have a decent managed switch called the SRW-2024, but I think they stopped making them and are directing business customers towards Cisco.

Signature 

Casey Benjamin
Niveus Media
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.niveus.com

Posted: 14 July 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Up-and-Comer
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2009-07-13

Casey,

I agree 100%. The CE world has a very low value proposition when it comes to networking. Some of it is because we are all used to cheap networking products and the rest usually involves lack of design and implementation knowledge when it comes to professional (i.e. Cisco) grade networking. Here lies the problem: any decent integration project has exponentially more bits and bytes running on the home network than your average small to medium size business. The home network has turned into the foundation for all vendors on any project: Take AV, lighting, shades, security cameras, alarm and all the way down to estate irrigation – all integrate into one network.

So; what can you, a high end AV Integrator, do in a situation where a million+ dollar, three-rack integration project (And this is an extreme example from a real story; all of you CE Professionals should never put your client’s in harm’s way, no matter what size project you do) leans on a $200 switch and some cheap manually-configured access points?
First, you must come to the realization the network is the foundation of all you do, and more importantly, this will remain so for years to come. Second, you must recognize that a network, at its best, is a sharp tool in your toolbox, and is not cheap to buy and not cheap to program, and, that you can (and should) make lots of money selling it. Then, you can in-source (hire a certified, qualified IT engineer), go through some R&D;pain, make your clients bleed as you learn only to have your CCNA leave you for another job (again, real case), or you can outsource (you can contact me about that). Like my good friend says: either you do IT or you get run over by others that do…

[ Edited: 14 July 2009 08:02 PM by AccessNetworks ]
 Signature 

Hagai Feiner
Access Networks
http://www.accessca.com

Posted: 23 July 2010 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-23

I use Linksys or Buffalo flashed with DD-WRT, its a lot cheaper but for the high end installs and people want to pay,  I use Cisco.

Signature 

VisolutionTV
11916 Windom Peak Way
San Diego, CA 92131
(858) 224-3140

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Grizzled Veteran
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2010-02-04

We utilize Cisco as well, consistently.  Every once in a while we see a callout for HP Procurve, but that is rare.

The funny thing about the Cisco switches is that the smarter they are (Level3) the longer they take to come online.  If you are doing any power management on the network, make sure you account for some boot time on the Cisco switches before issuing IP commands, as they will all fail to reach their destination otherwise.

We have one system with 112 video servers in it running on Cisco Catalyst switches, and that was a major issue in testing.

Signature 

Best and God Bless,

Mark Coxon

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”-Arthur C. Clarke

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo