Search CE Pro

CE Pro Community | What Cables Should I Run for a Wall-Mounted LCD?

What Cables Should I Run for a Wall-Mounted LCD?
Posted: 02 July 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2008-03-17

Q What AV cables should I run in-wall for my wall-mounted LCD HDTV? I was thinking power and two HDMI. S-video and component should not be needed since I plan to use a modern HDMI-switching and upscaling receiver and a PC hooked up by DVI-HDMI. Maybe Cat6 Ethernet and USB? - Jon Graves, Seattle

Posted: 02 July 2009 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-06-18

If you are planning on using a scaling, up-converting AVR as you say, I would say you need no more than HDMI and a piece of Cat5 for an average installation. If this is an open wall that will become un-accessible once it is closed I would recommend an additional 2 or 3 pieces of Cat5e or Cat6 to future proof the installation.

Posted: 02 July 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-06-05

Assuming this wall is currently open, and will be closed up and inaccessible, here’s what I would recommend:

1. One good-quality HDMI. A few extra dollars today for an upgraded HDMI cable can save you hundreds later when you need the additional quality.
2. Two Cat5E or one Cat5E plus one Cat6. One of these is for a network connection (think connected TV) and the other is for control (think IR repeater or RF to IR system).
3. If possible, pull these through a preinstalled 2-inch cable conduit with a messenger line. This will enable you to pull additional cables if/as needed for future use.
4. If (3) isn’t possible, throw in either 3 Cat5E/Cat6 or a bundled MiniRGB (5-conductor) with 2 -3 Cat5Es. Since you don’t know what you’re going to want in the future (Quad-HD? 3D, super-duper-deep color? Audio?), you want as many options as possible to allow you to upgrade later.

Of course, if you remodel this room every 5 years or so, and don’t care about re-drywalling at that time, I’d stick with a single HDMI and 1-2 Cat5’s (depending on whether you need control, network, or both). No point in throwing in the kitchen sink if the next upgrade cycle is around the time you’ll be remodeling again anyway!

Rob

Signature 

Rob Schultz
Inspired Electronics, Inc.
Palatine, IL
http://www.inspired-electronics.com

Posted: 07 July 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-04-13

You may wish to consider running additional video cables if you plan to use the TV’s built-in capabilities for PiP.  For example, if you wanted to watch a movie from the DVD player while also showing the game from your cable box as a picture-in-picture, you would need one video cable (HDMI or component) carrying the DVD signal and a separate cable (HDMI or component) carrying the cable box signal.  The switching capability of your AVR wouldn’t be a substitute for multiple cables in this case (though a high end AVR with PiP built-in would.)

Posted: 13 July 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-10

Jon,

If you plan to use a game console with your TV set-up, you might consider running additional Cat5e or two for the wired sensors/cameras that your game console might need.

For example, Wii console needs a sensor bar to be attached above or below your screen, XBOX360 might need a similar device, so a Cat5e with USB baluns on both ends might be needed to connect some accessories.

Signature 

Regards,
Ruslan Ulanov
Follow @rusgrafx

Posted: 10 August 2009 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-10

Assuming this wall is currently open, and will be closed up and inaccessible, here’s what I would recommend:
One good-quality HDMI. A few extra dollars today for an upgraded HDMI cable can save you hundreds later when you need the additional quality. 000-330 exam
Two Cat5E or one Cat5E plus one Cat6. One of these is for a network connection (think connected TV) and the other is for control (think IR repeater or RF to IR system).
If possible, pull these through a preinstalled 2-inch cable conduit with a messenger line. This will enable you to pull additional cables if/as needed for future use. 70-562 exam
Of course, if you remodel this room every 5 years or so and don’t care about re-dry walling at that time, I’d stick with a single HDMI and 1-2 Cat5’s (depending on whether you need control, network, or both). No point in throwing in the kitchen sink if the next upgrade cycle is around the time you’ll be remodeling again anyway! 350-018 exam

Posted: 17 January 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-01-17

The most important thing to run is a 2” conduit from the TV to the head end. !!! Run in a plug behind the tv and run it on the same circuit as your headend plugs.

[ Edited: 17 January 2010 04:22 PM by Gman-north ]
 Signature 

http://www.electronicinteriors.ca
http://www.avinstallers.org

Posted: 23 February 2010 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2008-03-03

I agree with the previous post. 1 HDMI cable would be sufficient for the video input and I would use 3 cat5, 1 for control and 2 for future use.

Signature 

Mike Jarboe
http://www.albanyinstalls.com

You have posted 0 times
Your last visit: Never

Follow this forum with RSS. RSS 2.0

Sponsored Links

About Us Customer Service Privacy Policy Contact Us Advertise With Us Dealer Services Subscribe Reprints ©2013 CE Pro
  EH Network: Electronic House CE Ideas Store Commercial Integrator ChannelPro ProSoundWeb Church Production Worship Facilities Electronic House Expo Worship Facilities Expo