Speakers

Yamaha WXAD-10 or Google Chromecast Audio: Which Works Better?

Yamaha's WXAD-10 offers wireless music playback with Bluetooth and Airplay, but how does it measure up against Google's Chromecast Audio?

Posted by John Nemesh on April 12, 2017

Sorry Jordan, but the Chromecast Audio supports up to 24 bit/96khz audio, according to their website:

Also, if audiophiles are not happy with the sound quality, they can add an external DAC, which will work wonders on the sound quality!

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 13, 2017

I would also add that Chromecast Audio (CCA) can be installed using RCA cables.  I know because there are 6 Chromecast Audios in my WHA system that are connected to each zone on my WHA amp using 6 3.5mm stereo to 2RCA male cables.  Those cables are so widely available you can throw a rock and hit one and there reasonably priced.

And John is right about what’s on Google’s Chromecast website in regards to hi-res audio.  There is a option in the Google Home app that allows you to enable hi-res audio.

I haven’t experienced any Wifi dropouts on the CCAs.  But with anything your mileage may vary.  I would definitely prefer streaming over Wifi versus Bluetooth for all of the reasons listed in the article.  I would also add that with all of the streaming services for music and podcasts that Chromecast Audio supports as well as having the Background audio feature for Android devices, which Chromecast Audio supports, Chromecast is a no-brainer at this point in time.

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 13, 2017

One thing that we don’t know from the article is if you can group multiple Yamaha WXAD-10 devices together.  Chromecast Audio has the group function.  You can group all zones together so that they’re playing the same stream.  All of the groups that you create appear in the Google Home app and they permanently stay there until you delete the group.  You don’t have to recreate the group each time you want to cast music. I haven’t experienced any delays in audio.  There is a delay adjustment in the Google Home app if it is needed.

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 13, 2017

BTW, one more thing.  Google has an ethernet adapter for all Chromecast devices; and it is powered.  It’s available for order from the Google store for $15.00:

Posted by JCKE on April 14, 2017

According to Yamaha’s website the device will support wifi just fine…

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 14, 2017

@JCKE,

Something told me that the device had to have Wifi, especially after seeing the Wifi symbol on the from of the device in the picture that is apart of this article.  I just thought of another question that I have about this device.  Does it have a guest feature?  Google Chromecast Audio has a guest feature.

Posted by BFN on April 15, 2017

Amazon might have done this using Alexa/Dot hardware, buy they have really screwed up a golden opportunity.

Posted by BFN on April 15, 2017

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 14, 2017

@JCKE,

Posted by JCKE on April 14, 2017

According to Yamaha’s website the device will support wifi just fine…

Posted by antoniohardeman on April 13, 2017