Home Theater

Sonos Playbase Could Change Everything. Or Not.

The long-suffering category of “sound bases” might get a boost from Sonos Playbase, inspiring new paradigms in loudspeakers, TV mounting, and accessories like Sanus’s Swiveling TV Base.

Posted by John Nemesh on March 8, 2017

These types of sound systems were supposed to be REALLY big a couple years ago.  They didn’t sell nearly as well as someone thought they would.  I think they will do well in RETAIL, but not in our segment of the market.  Also, the continued omission of HDMI/ARC is a head scratcher.  Many won’t buy this simply because it lacks that feature.  As for “changing everything”?  Forget it, ain’t happening.

Posted by JohnConklin on March 8, 2017

Would be surprised if this is anything close to a remarkably profitable product for Sonos. Hope it sounds super awesome because aesthetically it’s surprisingly boring and just not an attractive component to have in the open. To me this doesn’t come close to truly disappearing into the environment as quoted by Sonos CEO (?) In any event this is just a soundbar; but it can’t be mounted on a wall. I read the data “70 percent of TVs are placed on furniture” but what about forward looking, needle moving products? Sonos used to be that type of company. Not to mention what are trends in wall mounting TVs? Where is that pointing? I bet the trend is upward. Slight digression but I think # of wall mounted TVs will increase as we move forward in time. Drivers for that opinion are smaller homes/rooms work better w/less furniture (eg. no space for a floor standing TV stand/shelving unit) and decreasing pricing for TVs means more TVs per person/family which is already true. Current hurdle for increasing # of wall mounted TVs is existing wall mount marketplace itself - just plain to expensive for what you get and most consumers need real value in their purchases. At some point we’ll see lower priced, easier-to-install/less invasive perhaps wall mounts with attractive solutions for cable routing (think apartments/rental units and DIYs with no/little mechanical abilities).

Posted by lbaltz on March 8, 2017

80% or more of the TVs we sell or install are hung on the wall.
I don’t think Sonos believes this will be a product for the CI channel.
Unless I missed it, the only notification of this new product came to me because I am registered as a retail user, with an offer to preorder the Playbase.  I have no notifications from Sonos or the rep as a dealer for over 10 years…

Posted by Raleigh G on March 9, 2017

No Thank You Sonos, soundbox style soundbars have not performed yet, and I don’t suspect this will either, Though the $150 price point might give it a fighting chance.

Posted by jhamill1 on March 9, 2017

Is anyone in the custom channel still selling Sonos? That’s so 2011. Thought most, if not all, of us had moved on to Heos and Play-Fi.

Posted by Rudyvalle on March 10, 2017

The idea that Sonos is going to change the market is silly. I’m an installer for over 7 Years there are only 3 real options. A true 5.1 surround system, Second a Basic 2.1 BOSE system and Third a mid level Soundbar system with wireless Sub. I have a lot of clients that love their Bose systems any type 2.1 or 5.1 and they don’t come cheap either. Sonos makes a great interface and cool streaming system but that’s all.

Posted by Rudyvalle on March 10, 2017

Posted by jhamill1 on March 9, 2017

Posted by Raleigh G on March 9, 2017

Posted by lbaltz on March 8, 2017

80% or more of the TVs we sell or install are hung on the wall.
I don’t think Sonos believes this will be a product for the CI channel.

Posted by JohnConklin on March 8, 2017