Control & Automation

On Eve of Apex Launch, RTI ‘Stepping up to Support Dealers’

RTI honestly, truly is launching new Apex programming platform this year, while enhancing tech support, adding home automation drivers, focusing on fundamentals.

Posted by Willcorg on June 29, 2017

I’ve been an advanced programmer of RTI for almost 10 years now, I’m even a dealer. However a lot of my peers and even good friends have lost faith in RTI and are rather disillusioned by the whole company. It started with the bad batch of remotes that had the finish flake off of the buttons a few years back… but mostly the time it takes to program each job (when compared to Control4). I know ID 10 is supposed to speed up programming, but it isn’t nearly as intuitive or fast as Composer. It can still take a few days to program a large job. My biggest complaint is the horrible customer service!!! I’ve had techs that are downright RUDE!!! They call me stupid, or say “you don’t know what you’re doing” when a device actually doesn’t work… HA!! I probably know more than they do… For example, I had an XP-3 on a job that kept locking up (it had a lot of drivers including 3rd party) and it also kept losing connection with the Surfir remote in conjunction with the iPad app. It was locking up because the app wouldn’t even work, so I put in an XP-8s with an 8gb memory card thinking that more memory was needed to prevent lock up… as also SUGGESTED BY RTI TECHS, then used the XP-3 as a slave and even used its antenna… but NOPE, It still didn’t work!! The customer was a HUGE client for me and has referred me to a lot of other clients. I wanted RTI in his personal home in order to promote it towards his own clients (he’s a real estate broker), well it backfired. He had me pull all of the RTI stuff out in favor of Control4… and he’s now 100% happy with NO CALL BACKS! He told me “I shouldn’t use RTI anymore”, but I still like it’s concept. So I bring the RTI back to my office and test all the equipment, come to find out… not only was the XP-3 locking up due to too many drivers, but the Zigbee wasn’t working. I knew this because I could use the iPad but not a Zigbee remote. So I called tech support, and the tech said “I didn’t know what I was doing”, I had explained what all I did to troubleshoot it, he then tells me to try… WHAT I JUST SAID I DID! “I asked, are you playing solitaire on your computer or something? Because YOU’RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!” So after going through all their steps, it turns out… IT’S DEFECTIVE! But the part that really chaps my hide!?!? NO ADVANCED REPLACEMENT!!! I have to pay shipping on a BRAND NEW XP-3 that was bad out of the box!! Every other vender I deal with DOESNT WORK THIS WAY! Snap AV… GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Core Brands… GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Control4… GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! RTI… WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I’m no longer promoting RTI products to customers in line with current trends from friends and peers in the state of Arizona, until I hear they’ve overhauled their customer service… which is EVERYTHING in this industry! I hope they do something because I prefer RTI designs and custom programming over C4’s cookie cutting layout.

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

This article is fantastic news out of RTI!  I have been an RTI dealer for the last ten years love the product, engineering, and flexibility in their products.  It is very exciting to see the leadership at RTI taking ownership of the past and moving forward in a new direction.  The products that have come out recently have shown a forward thinking attitude in their equipment line up.  The new reps are easy to reach and all have a background in the low voltage industry.  I’m super excited to see what RTI has in store for the remainder of the year as well as what they have coming at CEDIA!

On a professional note, the above the previous poster has a lot to learn about professionalism.

First, the programming for RTI (Integration Designer) is extremely easy and intuitive, otherwise it wouldn’t be the only software in the CEDIA Hall of Fame.  If the poster is having a difficult time in programming a system quickly and efficiently, perhaps he should take a class in understanding how to use the software better.  I have seen the new software last year at CEDIA and it looks very promising in making the programming even better.  (I can do with RTI what you can do with C4 in a third of the time.  I am a master programmer for both.)

Second, RTI customer service and tech support have been a pleasure to work with every time I have needed to talk to them.  When I have had to talk to tech support, sometimes they do not have an exact answer, but work to help me resolve the issue.  With the way this person posted, I would suspect he called tech support and/ or customer service with an attitude of how superior he is to some tech support agent.  He probably did not want to give any information or follow any direction from tech support since, and I quote, “HA!! I probably know more than they do…”  Guys like this tend to make the entire industry look bad.  For future information, all tech support has protocols and questions that need to be answered as well as steps to fixing the issue.  You don’t just replace equipment, you troubleshoot it to find the issue.  It’s called steps in troubleshooting.  (C4/ Crestron/ Savant/ Elan/ URC all have steps to follow in troubleshooting.)

Third, the processor you originally used was locking up due to too many drivers and third party drivers??!!  Did I read that correctly??!!  The poster put together a system, overloaded what it’s capabilities are, and then blamed the equipment.  Again, instead of blowing up at tech support, perhaps a training on the equipment or talking with your rep would be a better solution in understanding the gear being sold.

Fourth, there is an advanced replacement program. I have used it several times.  I would suggest asking customer service about the program before assuming that it doesn’t exist.  Also, when you have a defective part less than 30 days old, you can replace it with you distributor.  Something else I have done in the past.  I would suggest training again to find out what the policies and procedures are when working with any manufacturer.

Lastly, Instead of bashing a company that you say you like but only have bad experiences with, perhaps you could reach out to the said company to help resolve your issues.  If you can’t get them resolved at the local level, perhaps move up the chain of command.  What you have posted on this site shows a lack of professionalism as well as a lack of understanding how to work with equipment you sell.

Congratulations RTI on releasing new product!  Keep up the great work!!

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Wow, leave it to an RTI sales manager “Matt Yealy = smartoz” to post their own follow up. You should take OZ off of your Linked In if you want to keep statements private.

Way to go OZ having another RTI employee tell a frustrated dealer that he is wrong and needs training. I have been installing RTI for about 8 years now. We all know the issues that RTI had with the T2CS, T3X, T2I. It’s common knowledge to those in the industry that the XP-3 has issues functioning as a slave it all over the forums so don’t put Willcorg through the ringer because you are unaware of your own products short comings.It’s not good to be a jerk to your dealers/RTI’s lifeblood.

RTI’s tech support is terrible for the most part. They only have one or two good guys left. All the veterans seemed to have left. The new guys have limited knowledge and are very rude when you quickly reach the limits of their knowledge. It’s not a big surprise though. RTI’s training is a complete joke,and has not updated in years.

Good luck on the Apex launch. I know a lot of veteran installers that I talk to like myself have tried the Beta, and even with the updates over the last few weeks it is years from being completed enough to actually build a working file. Why not add the simple features we all ask for in Integration Designer. It seems the only one left still excited about RTI releasing Apex is the author of this article. No one has care in years. How did it take 5 years to bring something so incomplete to launch?

Shame, shame shame… I’ll be sticking with Integration Designer for my small projects, and navigating the pitfalls like I’ve always done.

Posted by HiFi Guy on June 30, 2017

@Willcorg.  Control is not your thing bud.  RTI is awesome and works just fine.  It does however, require that you know what you’re doing.  Sounds like you don’t know what you’re doing with it.  Do yourself a favor ... take your customers to Magnolia Design Centers and let them do your job for you.  Showroom and sell off of their inventory.  Install it and just let the Geek Squad program the C4 or URC for you.  They sell C4 and URC so you’re good there.  No need to compete.  Embrace it!  This requires you to have no customer service or training ever and it’s probably better for your customers too in the long run.  Just saying.

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Good job changing your name and trying to hide. What a dirty ball move. Installer #1 previously posting as smartoz. Come on Matt have some backbone when you call dealers out.

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Wrong guy.

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

You just changed your name back again… What is wrong with you? You know they change both places, right?

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Whoever you are, you got the wrong guy.

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

The wrong guy wouldn’t care. Here’s a link to your post while you’re name was changed.

It’s not fun to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. It’s also not fun for RTI Sales managers to troll the very dealers that you should be supporting.

RTI needs to start supporting dealers positively, and own up to shortcomings. Stop spinning facts. I sell Crestron they were not replaced by RTI at Mindstec. Creston went to a direct model and left Mindstec. It wasn’t until much later that RTI was pickup by them. News flash distributors sell products, and they were going to bring on someone. My guess is that most other manufacturers already had a distributor presence in Asia. Once again RTI is late to the party.

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Ok- I’m busted.  I really am sorry for what I said- I shouldn’t have. I couldn’t resist.  I have been with RTI a few months, but my response is my mindset from many years as an RTI dealer. Now I can see that RTI is working on every issue that you brought up.  I just hated to see RTI getting smacked for the issues while working so hard to fix them.
The whole article is about stepping up to support dealers, and changing RTI for the better. It is happening and dealers will see the difference.

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Whoever you are, you got the wrong guy.

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Wrong guy.

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Posted by HiFi Guy on June 30, 2017

Posted by InstallProPA on June 30, 2017

Posted by Smartoz on June 30, 2017

Congratulations RTI on releasing new product!  Keep up the great work!!

Posted by Willcorg on June 29, 2017